Oatmeal. I grew up loving it, and I still do. So of course I got my mother-in-law's recipe for her oatmeal cake!!
All I had to do was switch out the flours, and I did cut down the sugar by 1/2 a cup--so you can add it back, but the topping also has 1/2 a cup and that's a lot of sugar!!
I had a lot of fun making this cake with one of my grandsons! What great memories cooking together.
Marilyn's Spectacular Gluten Free Oatmeal Cake
1. Prepare oatmeal: Pour 1 1/2 cups of boiling water over 1 cup of oatmeal and let stand for 20 minutes.
2 Prepare dry ingredients - In a medium bowl put:
(1) 1/2 cup rice flour, 1/2 cup sorghum flour, 1/4 cup tapioca flour, and 1/4 cup garbanzo flour
(2) Add leavening and spice: 1 t baking powder, 1 t baking soda, 1/2 t salt, 3/4 t cinnamon, and 1/4 t nutmeg.
3. Prepare liquid ingredients - In a large mixing bowl put:
(1) 1/2 cup of butter
(2) Beat until creamy - about 2 minutes
(2) Slowly add 1/2 cups of brown sugar
(3) Beat together for 2-3 minutes until well creamed
(3) 2 eggs and 1 t vanilla
(4) Beat together for 2 minutes
3. Combine ingredients:
(1) Add the oatmeal to the butter/sugar mixture
(2) Slowly add the flour bowl to this bowl and beat until just combined
4. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
Coconut Pecan Topping
Put into a saucepan:
6 T of butter, 3/4 cup of brown sugar, 4 1/2 T of cream/milk is okay, 3/4 cup of pecans (I've used walnuts), and 1 cup of shredded coconut and cook until combined.
5. Pour this topping over the cake and put the cake under the broil until it's slightly browned. Watch it because it doesn't take long!
Other Gluten Free Baking & Desserts on This Blog:
Breads & Muffins
Gluten free and Low-fat Banana bread
Beth's Amazing Gluten Free Cornbread
Banana Nutty muffins
Gluten Free Tremendous Pumpkin Muffins
Bursting with Blueberries Gluten Free Muffins
Toni's Outrageous Gluten Free Corn Muffins
Fall Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread
Delicious Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
My Favorite Gluten Free Cranberry Nut Bread
Gluten Free German Apple Cake
You Won't Believe It's Gluten Free Carrot Cake
Gluten Free Polish Fruitcake
Judi's Super Moist Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
Welcome Spring with Judi's Gluten Free Orange Chiffon Cake
Sensational Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake
Terrific Gluten Free Strawberry & Peach Trifle
Grandma's Gluten Free Applesauce Cake
Awesome Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Cake
Perfect Gluten Free Pumpkin Cheesecake
Crisps & Pies:
Lena's Rhubarb Crunch (A crisp with a gluten free top and bottom crust!)
Delicious Gluten Free Apple Crisp
Ginger's Outrageous Apple Pie
Our Favorite Pumpkin Pie
Gluten Free Cowboy Oatmeal Cookies
Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies
Incredible Gluten Free Gingerbread Cookies
Gluten Free Peppermint Sugar Cookies
Old Fashioned Gluten Free Pumpkin Cookies
The Best Gluten Free Recipe for Snickerdoodles
Gluten Free Rocky Road Brownies
Mark's Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies - Made Gluten Free!
Judi's Gluten Free Oatmeal Craisin & Coconut Cookies
Puddings & Ice Cream
Baked Coconut Pudding
Tangy Lemon Pudding
Dairy Free Strawberry Coconut Ice Cream (And other ice cream favorites!)