Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, August 25, 2016

How Can You Keep the 10 Commandments?

I read something that surprised me about the 10 commandments.  Like most kids in Sunday School, I heard a lot about the commandments.  But I could never tell  anyone I couldn't keep ALL of them.  Talk about pressure, and I never heard anybody in my life ever admit they couldn't either. That is until I read this.


It's really helped me to get that God knew because of the fall there was NO WAY we could ever in a million years keep these 10 commandments!  And what surprised me from my reading in chapter 63 in the Life-Study of Exodus was that God had no intention that we,(and you have to underscore the we here) keep them!!! He actually wanted these commandments to expose  the children of Israel's INABILITY to keep them!!!   

Witness Lee says in this chapter when the Israelites said, all God has spoken we will do, they really didn't know the depth of their fallen nature!!  Knowing you can't keep the commandments might discourage you, and make you keep trying harder.  I learned that's what  Paul was talking about at the end of Romans 7. I really was touched in this chapter  with the secret Witness Lee shares  for how to deal with the 10 commandments:
In my experience with the Lord I have learned a particular secret, and I would like to share it with you.  The secret is whenever you find that the Bible tells you to do a certain thing, do not say, "Lord, I'll do this. I just ask You to help me do it."  Instead, tell Him that you love Him, but that you are not able to fulfill His requirements.  For instance a young person may say "Lord, I love You. The Bible tells me to honor my parents. Lord, I must confess that I cannot honor them.  But I do love You and Your word, I want to stay with  You according to Your word. Lord, I just want to be here with You." Then the Lord will assure that young person that although he cannot honor his parents, He Himself will do this in him. We should simply say amen to the Word of God. Then the Lord will do in us what we could never do ourselves (Lee, Witness. Life-Study of Exodus.  Anaheim: Living Stream Ministry, 1980, Print).

You can listen to excerpts of this life training and some outstanding commentary by listening to Life-Study of the Bible with Witness Lee on Exodus.

Other Posts on the Life-Study of Exodus:

No comments:

Post a Comment