Gluten Free & God Seeking

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Belizean BBQ Chicken, Black Beans & Rice, & Belizean Coleslaw

   I made some Belizean food over the last weekend. I enjoy trying out foods from other countries.Two of the recipes below come from my daughter-in-law's family cookbook.  Some of her family were born there.

   Everyone was wowing over the chicken because it was so tasty and moist.  I didn't  completely follow the recipe for the black beans and rice.  I cooked the beans and rice separately and then combined some of them together in a bowl just in case there weren't that many takers. 

As I searched online to check out Belizean food, I learned that some people like to cook the beans and then add a bit more water and/or some coconut milk and then add the rice and cook everything together until the rice is tender.  If you're interested in that, you can search it out on the link to the Belizean coleslaw that's below.

Belizean BBQ Chicken

1.  Prepare chicken:  
(1)  Rinse and cut apart  a 3 lb chicken.
(2)  Rub the chicken with  3 tsp. of No Salt seasoning and 3 T chopped cilantro.
(3)  Marinate for 6 hours or overnight.

2.  Prepare vegetables:  
(1)  Dice 1 medium onion
(2)  Chop 1 green pepper. 
(3)   mince 1 clove of garlic.

3.  Make Belizean BBQ sauce:  Combine  in a small bowl:  4 T ketchup, 1 T Worcestershire sauce, 2 T apple cider vinegar, 4 T water, 2 T olive oil, 3 T brown sugar, 1 tsp. chili powder, 1 tsp. dry mustard,  1 tsp. paprika, 1 tsp. salt and mix together.

4.  Bake the chicken: 
 Put chicken in 9 x 13 pan and add the BBQ sauce and vegetables and then bake covered at 350 for 1 hour.  You can also put this in a crock pot on low for 8 hours.

Serve with Belizean rice and beans


 Belizean Black Beans & Rice

1. Prepare black beans:  
(1)  Soak beans the night before and then drain off and add about 3-4 cups of water and bring to a boil.  
(2)  Then let the beans simmer for an 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until tender. 
 
2.  Chop vegetables & fry:  
(1)  Chop up 1 medium onion, and mince 2 cloves of  garlic. 
(2)  Put 2 T oil into a skillet and fry up vegetables.
(3)  Then add 2 cups of rice and fry together for about 5 minutes.  

3. Put 3 cups of water into a pot and add the cooked beans and the rice mixture and cook over low heat for 5-20 minutes or until done.


Belizean Coleslaw

I tried the Belizean Coleslaw recipe that was posted by Global Kitchens because I wanted to have a traditional salad with the chicken and rice and beans.

1.  Prepare vegetables - After cutting put the following vegetables into a large salad bowl:
(1)  Thinly slice 1 medium head of cabbage
(2)  Chop 1 red pepper into 1/4" strips
(3)  Grate 2 carrots
(4)  Slice 1-2 cucumbers in half moons (I cut them into quarters)
 
2.  Prepare dressing - In a small bowl whisk together:
1/2 cup of white vinegar, 1/4 cup of olive oil, 4 tsp. salt, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1 tsp. of no salt seasoning like Bragg's Organic Sprinkle- 24 Herbs & Spices Seasoning

3.  Combine:  Drizzle the dressing over the coleslaw and toss to combine.  You can refrigerate it for a few hours before serving.  I only had about half an hour before dinner, and it was still delicious!
  
Other Mexican Recipes On This Blog

Mexican Casseroles
Texas Style Gluten Free Stacked Enchiladas  (From my Come & Dine cookbook)
Acapulco Delight A great Mexican Enchilada (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Kathy's Baked Chili & Chips Casserole  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Fiesta Gluten Free Tamale Pie   (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Authentic Chicken Enchiladas Verde  (From a church friend)
Delores's Chicken & Tortilla Casserole (Made Gluten Free)  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Great Beef Enchiladas - From my church cookbook, Come & Dine

Tacos, Chimichangas  & Etc.
Rachel Ray's Recipe for the Best Fish Tacos   (Modified from Food Network)
Fantastic Baked Chimichangas  (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Authentic Chicken Flautas  (My hispanic friend Abbie taught me how to make these!)
Delicious Chicken Fajitas  (A mix of many recipes)
Easy Gluten Free Baked Taquitos  (From a newspaper clip)
 
Beans
The Best Homemade Refried Beans  (Modified from an Internet search)
Baked Chili & Chips (My daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)
Sara's Grandpa's Recipe for Mexican Beans (from my nephew's wife-a yummy side dish that is thick like a stew)

Mexican Chicken & Beef
Anna's Pollo Guisado (Mexican Braised Chicken)  (From a church friend in Phoenix)
Fantastic Gluten Free Carne Asada!  (From an Internet search--a combination of sites)

Soups
Mexican Chicken Soup- A Great Remedy for Colds & Flu  (I got this over 25 years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (From a friend in California)
Southwest Turkey Soup   (From my Syre School Cookbook)

Salads
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa  (My own version of something I ate in Seattle)

No comments:

Post a Comment