Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Just Like Starbucks Date Scones


Scones make a beautiful addition to a breakfast table.  I don't make scones very often so they're a big deal around my house. 

I've had my Come & Dine church cookbook for over 20 years, and I've never made this Starbucks copycat recipe.  I had some dates I needed to use up and so I was game to give it a try. 

This recipe is easy to follow, and I would suggest that you not use coconut flour because you don't want scones to end up on the dry side.  . 

These scones were delicious with scrambled eggs, fruit, and, of course, a cup of tea.








Just Like Starbucks Date Scones

1.  Prepare dry ingredients - In a large mixing bowl put:



(1)  2 cups of gluten free flour
(2)  2 tsp. baking powder and 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. salt, and 2 tsp. cinnamon
(3)  Stir in 1/4 cup of brown sugar.
(4)  Cut in 1/2 cup of chilled butter into the dough until it's crumbly.

2.  Mix liquid ingredients - In a small bowl put:
(1)  1 egg
(2)  2/3 cup of buttermilk
(3)  2/3 cup of chopped dates.

3.  Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix together BUT DO NOT OVERMIX.  If the dough is sticky, add a couple tablespoons of flour and work it in until the dough doesn't stick to the bread board.

4. Working with the dough:
(1)   Knead the dough 8 to 10 times.
(2)  Either pat it out into one circle like below or  divide the dough in half and shape each part into a circle about 1/2" thick.
(3)   Cut out 12 wedges.

5.  Bake on an ungreased baking sheet at 350 for about 20 minutes.  Optional:  Brush the tops with melted butter.


No comments:

Post a Comment