Gluten Free & God Seeking

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Spectacular Chicken Panang Curry



      Wonderfully aromatic, Panang curry is our Thai friend's favorite.  When you taste it, you'll know why!  Whenever Suchakree arrives early on Friday night, he likes to come into the kitchen and finish the curry. He likes it spicy, and often he will add 1 or 2 tablespoons more of the curry paste.


  You can find the basic structure for making Thai curry on the backs of AROY-D  or Mae Ploy curry pastes. I've learned a lot about Thai cooking from my son who worked for a few years at a Thai restaurant in college, and during that time helped me make curry every Friday night for our Bible study.  

   I  also learned a lot about  making curries from my favorite Thai cookbook called Thai Cooking in a Sufi's Kitchen.  I learned about the proportion of fish sauce, sugar, and in some curries salt or tamarind that makes these curries taste great.  One thing I've changed is when I double this curry or any others, I don't double the fish sauce. I'll leave that up to you, but I don't like the fish sauce to be too strong.

Chicken Panang Curry   - Serves 6 to 8

1.  Prepare chicken:  Rinse and cut 2 chicken breasts into bite size pieces.  Put into the frig until needed.

2.  Prepare veggies:  
(1)  Cut up 1 green and 1 red pepper into thin strips. 
(2)  Slice 1 medium onion into thin pieces.
(3)  Cut 2 carrots into medium size chunks .
(4)  Chop 2 potatoes into 1" cubes or in wedges. 
(5)  Steam carrots and potatoes in a small saucepan until almost tender.

3.  Cook curry:  Put 2 T oil into an electric skillet and add 3-4 T of curry and stir fry on medium-low until fragrant. Add ½ can of regular coconut milk and increase heat to medium-high.  Stir and cook curry paste and coconut milk for a few minutes until the oil starts to appear on the surface. I would suggest you start with the 3 tablespoons in this recipe, and then taste it midway, and if it's not spicy enough for you, then add 1-2 more tablespoons of the paste

4.  Cook the chicken:    
(1)  Add chicken breasts and 2 lime leaves snipped into small pieces.  Stir and cook until chicken is cooked through. 
(2) Then add the rest of the coconut milk and another entire can.  Continue cooking until the mixture comes to a boil, then turn it down.  Try not to let the curry boil!

5.  Add the veggies: 
(1)  Then reduce the heat to medium  and add  2 T fish sauce and 2 tsp. sugar.
(2)  Add the bell peppers, and the steamed vegetables. You can add basil leaves if you like.  I don't always have them on hand, and this recipe still tastes amazing!
(3)  Taste it and balance any flavors.  Sugar cuts the heat; so you can add a tablespoon or so to tone it down. 


Blog update 5-10-13:  I made this curry for a Bible study dinner and fellowship we have, and this time I made it just with the peppers, onions, and I also threw in a bit of zucchini and summer squash. which by the way tastes great in this curry.

Check out some of the other curries on this blog!

Tasty Thai Red Curry   (Modified  recipe from back of curry paste & Thai recipe)
Fantastic Thai Green Curry (Modified a recipe from back of curry paste & Thai recipe)
Rose's Authentic Chinese Yellow Curry  (From a Taiwanese friend who brought this to dinner)
Thai Salmon & Vegetables in Green Curry  ( Modified recipe from Internet search)
Massaman Chicken Curry with Yams & Pineapple (Modified  recipe from back of curry paste & Thai recipe)
Spectacular Chicken Panang Curry (Modified  recipe from back of curry paste &  recipe)
Amazing Vegetable Panang Curry (Modified recipe from back of curry paste & Thai recipe)
Gluten Free Thai Chicken & Pumpkin Curry  (From Internet search)

Other Thai Recipes on This Blog 

Making Gluten Free Pad Thai With a Thai Student (A combination of recipes & student's know how!)
Gluten Free Thai Basil Beef    (From Internet search)
How to Make Your Own Thai Fresh Rolls   (From Internet search)

9 comments:

  1. This Panang chicken curry tastes authentic, and it might taste more authentic with more curry. ~ Suchakree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suchakree, Your comment makes me smile. I was thinking about you when I made this curry, and I even added 1 more additional tablespoon making it 5 tablespoons--hoping that would be enough for you. I know you like your curry spicy, but some of us get teary eyed eating it! ~ Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The curry is tasteful, and it just tastes like the Thai food that I have in the Thai restaurant. ~ Shing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious!! ~ Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. It combines a gorgeous sight and tasteful flavor. It is really impressive. ~Ying Ying

    ReplyDelete
  6. This page certainly has all of the information and facts I wanted
    about this subject and didn't know who to ask.
    Here is my weblog :: winter internship

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment on my insructions for cooking Thai curries. I've been making curries for about five years, and because one of the students we used to host is from Thailand, I have someone who can eat what I make and tell me honestly if it's authentic or not.

      Delete
  7. Best curry after pineapple and yam curry and Fish curry...:D So tasty. Definitely can make it spicier if desired. But I think this is the perfect hotness to this recipe.
    -emma

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you are a big Thai curry fan, Emma! Chicken panang was the very first curry I ate, and so it has a special memory for me.

    ReplyDelete