Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Make Your Own Crock Pot Yogurt!

    Crock pots have been used for everything.  Last year I made yogurt by cooking milk until it reached the right temp.  I didn't make it again because of the hassle.  I was excited when I saw a recipe for making yogurt in my crock pot, I was like, wow you're kidding, will this really work?  This is my third time making crock pot yogurt.  Lately I've been reading up and learning more about  the importance of probiotics and fermented foods. 

      When I was at my friend Bethany's house this summer, she had a jar of her crock pot yogurt in the frig, and after having some for breakfast,  I had to ask her for the recipe.  She told me she got it from Stacy Makes Cents, and I checked out her site, and it looks amazing with a lot of great tips and recipes. 



Make Your Own Crock Pot Yogurt!

1.  Put half a gallon of whole milk (or whatever you choose it won't affect anything but the taste!) into a crockpot.

2.  Turn it on low and leave it for 2 1/2 hours.  If you have a large crock pot, Stacy says to keep it in there for 2 hours and 45 minutes otherwise the yogurt texture will be a bit springy.

3.  Put a note on the yogurt so you know when it's ready for the next stage.

4.  Turn off the crock pot for 3 hours to let it cool slightly.

5.  Take out 1 cup out of the crock and whisk in 1/2 cup of plain yogurt with live cultures until it's well combined.

6.  Add this mixture back to the milk in the crock pot and whisk it in.

7.  Cover the crock pot with two thick bath towels and let the yogurt incubate for 8-12 hours.

8.  Put the yogurt into a glass canning jar and put it in the frig for 8 hours to set up more.

No comments:

Post a Comment