Gluten Free & God Seeking

Sunday, April 8, 2018

A Northeast Classic - Blueberry Grunt

I like to pick up new recipes.  This recipe comes from a student who was working writing about his family and his recipe for a class cookbook.  I never heard of this one so it caught my eye, and I wrote it down. 

 Last week I made it for my husband, and I have never made it before so I followed the recipe exactly. We were both like yum, this is so good! 





A Northeast Classic - Blueberry Grunt


1.  In a medium sized skillet put:
(1)   1 cup water and 1 cup sugar (I used 3/4 cup); and cook on medium high.
(2)  Then stir in 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 4 cups of blueberries.
(3)  Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer.

2.  Mix together dry ingredients in a mixing bowl:
(1)  2/3 cup of sorghum flour, 2/3 cup of tapioca flour, and 2/3 cup of rice flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. 
(2)  With a pastry cutter cut in 3 tablespoons of butter.
(3)  Quickly stir in 1 cup of buttermilk or 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice/vinegar.

3.  Cook the batter over the blueberries:  Drop the dough in large spoonfuls over the blueberry mixture.  Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes or until the dough is done.  DO NOT LIFT THE LID!   It's amazing how the dough cooks up beautifully right on the stove! 

Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. 

Crisps & Pies:
Lena's Rhubarb Crunch (A crisp with a gluten free top and bottom crust!) (My daughter-in-law's mother. She's an amazing cook, which I think most of us moms become after a few years!)
Delicious Gluten Free Apple Crisp    (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Ginger's Outrageous Apple Pie    (From a church friend)

The BEST Lemon Meringue Pie with Mrs. Lauralicious Gluten Free Pie Crust  (Internet)
My Grandmother's Favorite Banana Cream Pie  (A recipe from my grandmother)
Granny's Lemon Cheesecake Squares   (From my friend Judi's granny)
Simple & Gluten Free Chocolate Cream Pie   (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Judi's No Fail Gluten Free Pie Crust    (From my friend Judi)

No comments:

Post a Comment