Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Thai Salmon & Vegetables in Green Curry

     Over the years I've come across only a few great fish curries, and this is one of them.  I can't remember the site where I got this basic recipe from last winter.  As I've worked with it, I've made the following changes--I've added more vegetables  and increased both the curry and  other seasonings. 

 A few weeks ago a Japanese student moved into our home, and his favorite word to say after he takes a bite of something new is to say delicious!  And that is exactly what this salmon curry is--absolutely delicious.  


Salmon & Vegetables in Green Curry  -for 8 

1.  Prepare veggies:  
(1)  Chop 1 onion into thin slices
(2)  Mince 2 cloves of garlic
(3)  Grate 1” of ginger and put into a small bowl. 
(4)  Slice 1 green pepper into thin slices.
(5)  Slice 2 carrots on the diagonal.
(6)  Slice 1 zucchini in half and then slice in 1” pieces.
(7)  Cube 3 potatoes and then steam the potatoes and carrots until tender.

2.  Prepare salmon Rinse 1 pound of salmon and cube into 1" pieces.

3.  Prepare curry sauce:  
(1)  Heat 2 T oil and add onion and stir fry until transparent. Add 3-4 T green curry paste (Sometimes I add 5 T depending on how spicy I want it), garlic, and ginger and cook for a minute. 
(2)  Reduce the heat and add, 2 cans of  regular coconut milk and then add the zucchini and green pepper and cook 2-3 minutes
(3)  Then add the steamed potatoes and carrots.  
(4)  Stir in  2 T fish sauce,  1 t salt, and 2 t brown sugar and simmer for 3-4 minutes.  
(5)  Then add the salmon pieces and 1 cup of frozen peas, and cook for another 3-4  more minutes.    Serve over rice.

Variation of this recipe:  On December 9, 2013 I used the basic structure of this recipe to make  my own twist on this recipe!  I used  red curry paste instead of green and instead of zucchini, carrots, and potatoes, I used  squash and green beans.  

Check out some of the other curries on this blog!

Tasty Thai Red Curry   (Modified  recipe from back of curry paste & Thai recipe)
Fantastic Thai Green Curry (Modified a recipe from back of curry paste & Thai recipe)
Rose's Authentic Chinese Yellow Curry  (From a Taiwanese friend who brought this to dinner)
Thai Salmon & Vegetables in Green Curry  ( Modified recipe from Internet search)
Massaman Chicken Curry with Yams & Pineapple (Modified  recipe from back of curry paste & Thai recipe)
Spectacular Chicken Panang Curry (Modified  recipe from back of curry paste &  recipe)
Amazing Vegetable Panang Curry (Modified recipe from back of curry paste & Thai recipe)
Gluten Free Thai Chicken & Pumpkin Curry  (From Internet search)

Other Thai Recipes on This Blog 

Making Gluten Free Pad Thai With a Thai Student (A combination of recipes & student's know how!)
Gluten Free Thai Basil Beef    (From Internet search)
How to Make Your Own Thai Fresh Rolls   (From Internet search)

4 comments:

  1. The salmon tastes delicious, and I like all the vegetables in the curry. It's colorful with the peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like this recipe for salmon and vegetable curry. It is one of my favorite fish curries! It is a great way to eat salmon when the price is high.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh! I love a good curry, but have never partaken of a salmon one. Not being a huge fan of salmon is probably why. I think I'll go out on a limb and try this though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a curry lover too, and this salmon curry is a terrific one! I like to eat salmon because of its omegas, and when the price is high, this curry is a good way to enjoy it! I'm glad you're an adventurous cook who likes to try something new.

    ReplyDelete