Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Tasty Gluten Free Pasta Salad

    You won't believe this is  gluten free!     This is a recipe I've been using for 20+ years, and I don't even remember where I got it from. 


Over the years I've tweaked the dressing the most because I think the dressing is half the salad.  I hope that this recipe  gives you a good starting point for making your own pasta salad.


Gluten Free Pasta Salad - Serves 8

1.  Prepare noodles:   Cook 16 oz. of gluten free noodles according to package.  Drain and let cool in serving bowl.   (I usually use Tinkyada, I've found that they really hold their shape, and I also have had similar success with Trader Joe's brown rice noodles).

2.  Prepare veggies:  
(1)  Dice up 1/2 of  a green and red pepper.
(2)  Dice 3 stalks of celery.
(3)  Roughly chop up 1/2 of a can of olives.
(4) Chop up a few broccoli florets.
(5)  Shred 1 carrot.
(6)  Cut in half some cherry tomatoes to sprinkle over the top. 
(7)  Optional:  marinated artichokes and anything else you'd like to add!

3.  Prepare dressing:    Put  in a container 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar,  1/2 cup of olive oil, 1 T fresh parsley, 1 sliced green onion, 1 clove minced garlic, 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. dried basil, 2 tsp. no-salt seasoning, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper and stir or shake well.  Taste and adjust any seasonings.  Optional:  I chopped a few fresh basil leaves and stirred it into the dressing. 

4.  Assemble salad:    Add dressing to noodles and toss, then add chopped vegetables. You can add some feta if you like.  Refrigerate 3+ hours.   

Note:  I would recommend making 1 1/4- 1 1/2 times the dressing and add it and then check it before serving and mix in any additional dressing.  

List of Other Salads on this Blog:

Greens/cabbage:
Make it Yourself Thai Peanut Dressing for Mandarin Salad  (My friend Judi's recipe)
KFC Copycat Cole Slaw   (A friend shared this with me)
Belizean Coleslaw    (From Internet search)
Antioxidant Rich Kale Super Salad  (A copycat from a deli, dressing from Syre School Cookbook)

Main Dish Salads
Gluten Free Chinese Chicken Cabbage Salad   (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa  (A remake from something I ate at a restaurant)
Mexican Grilled Salmon & Mango Salad   (From a Betty Crocker summer cookbook)
Jackson Square Shrimp Salad   (From my Syre School cookbook)
A Great Way to Make a Main Dish Salad Out of Your Garden Veggies - Nicoise Salmon Salad  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)

Pasta & Quinoa:
Tasty Gluten Free Pasta Salad  (Something I picked up over 20 years ago!)
Vietnamese Vermicelli Salad Bowls   (From an Internet search)
Michelle's Greek Quinoa Salad   (My foodie daughter's own delicious creation!)
Another Great Salad with Quinoa - Janah's  Original Quinoa, Cranberry & Feta Salad  (a recipe my daughter came up with)
Red Quinoa, Black Bean, & Corn Salad  (A yummy recipe on the Trader Joe's bag of red quinoa)

Vegetable:
Jeremy D's Sensational Greek Salad   (My son-in-law's recipe)
Grandma's Perfect Potato Salad   (My mother-in-law's recipe)
Rose's Refreshing Cucumber Salad   (From a Chinese friend)
A Great BBQ side Salad - Curried Pea Salad  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Dot's Easy Bean Salad  (Recipe from an  83 yr old friend of my father's)

Fruit:
Grandma Marilyn's Frozen Fruit Salad  (My mother-in-law's recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment