Gluten Free & God Seeking

Friday, July 18, 2014

Just Like Grandma's (But Only Gluten Free) Berry Cobbler


My grandmother used to make berry cobblers every summer.  Her berry cobblers not only looked beautiful with their mounds of sweet dough perched on top of a pan of thickened berries, but they were also downright delicious!  Especially with a few scoops of vanilla ice cream. (Yum) I had some blueberries I needed to use up this week so I decided to make a cobbler with them last night.  

  

Some of them were from some blueberries we had picked with our grandkids and one of our international students.  I told our two students that I usually make a  crisp or something to thank everyone for their help. Earlier this week I made blueberry jam out of most of them. So anyway while my husband and students went to the store for the ice cream, I worked on making the cobbler.

  This recipe comes from two sources--the fruit bottom comes from a handwritten recipe I got from the recipe notebook at the berry farm we picked at, and the topping recipe comes from a recipe I wrote down years ago from my husband's grandmother's cookbook.  When I made it years ago for some blackberries,  it reminded me of the cobbler my grandmother used to make. 

Berry Cobbler - for an 8 x 8 pan

1.  Prepare Fruit - For BLUEBERRY COBBLER:

(1)  Measure out 4 cups of blueberries (or a bit more) into a saucepan.
(2)  Add  1 1/2 T of butter
(3)  Add  1/2 cup of sugar and 1 1/2 tsp. of vanilla
(4)  Stir in 3-4 T of rice flour and bring to a boil.  Stir for 1 minute or until the berries are thick.
(5)  Taste and make any adjustments.  Put in 8 x 8 pan and top with cobbler below.

For BLACKBERRY COBBLER:
(1)  Put 5 cups of  blackberries into an 8 x 8 pan.
(2)  Stir in 4 T of rice flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, and 1 T of lemon juice.

2.  Meanwhile prepare the dough - In a small bowl put:
(1) You will need 1  cup gluten free flour:  I used 1/4 cup each of of rice flour, brown rice flour, sorghum flour, and  tapioca flour
(2)  Stir in 1 1/2 t of baking powder, 2 T sugar,  and 1/2 tsp. salt.
(3)  Cut in 3-4 T of butter with a pastry blender or knives.
(4)  Stir in 1/2-3/4  cup of milk as needed to get dough right.
(5)  Make any adjustments--more flour? more milk?

3. Put it together:  Put the thickened berries into the bottom of an 8 x 8 pan and then with a spoon put mounds of the dough all over the top of it.

4.  Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes.




Tangy Lemon Pudding   (From my daughter-in-laws family reunion cookbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment