Gluten Free & God Seeking

Sunday, November 16, 2014

What's the Way to Resist Temptation in James 1:21?

   How do you resist temptation?  How do you endure in trials?  We all have them, and last week I felt like I had my fair share.  Some news came that just broke me up inside. And whenever that happens, I know I have a choice--I'll let this sink me or I'll let the Lord's word anchor me. Somehow even in the face of some doubts and fears, I kept speaking words of promise. But I also know that God and some others were praying for me!


    It was right in the middle of this psychological deluge when I read chapter 4 of the Life-Study of James.  That chapter was like a giant buoy bolstering my faith in God's word.  I was like wow, God you know exactly where I am right now and what I need to read.  This chapter centered on James 1:21b which says,   … receive in meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.





In our spiritual life we need a good spiritual "breakfast" every day….As God plants His word into us every morning, this word becomes nourishment to our inward man, and it strengthens our spirit.  Once our spirit has been strengthened, it will sustain our soul. We will have the strength to withstand sufferings and to resist temptations....This means that through the nourishment of the implanted word we experience the salvation of our soul…..We know from experience that if our spirit is not strengthened and our soul is not sustained by a strong spirit, we are easily defeated by trials or temptations. The result is failure.This means that although we have been saved in our spirit, we are not being saved daily in our soul….Day by day we need to receive in meekness the implanted word, which is able to save our soul. The implanted word is full of energy to save our soul (Lee, Witness. "Practical Virtues of Christian Perfection" Life-Study of James. Anaheim: Living Stream Ministry,  <http://www.ministrybooks.org/books.cfm?cid=0D >)      
It touched me that the answer to how we resist temptation and endure trials is quite simple. It's all about making sure I spend time in the Word each day. Whether I sink or swim depends on it!!


I like to listen as much as I can to the Life-Study of the Bible with Witness Lee that goes along with the Life-Study that I am reading.  Both the excerpts from the spoken messages and the commentary are enlightening. 

Other Posts on the Life-Study of James: 
Why Does the Epistle of James Open Up With Trials?
What's the Way to Resist Temptation in James 1:21?
How Spiritual Growth is Connected to the Lord's Coming in James 5:7-8
What James 5:17-18  Teaches us About Elijah's Prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment