Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, November 27, 2014

A Great Fall Soup - Make It From Scratch Corn & Potato Chowder

Fall's a great time to start making some hearty soups.  And usually the day before Thanksgiving I make soup so that everyone will appreciate the feast the next day!!  Usually I make soups about three times a week because the international students who live with us are used to having soup every day as part of their dinner. And over the six years we've hosted students, I've come to enjoy this tradition as much as they do!

  When I'm out of Asian chicken bok choy, cabbage, or spinach soup (See the recipe link below!),  I often make different kinds of  chowder.  And, of course there are days where there's no soup, and if they want it, they make themselves a bowl of ramen!  


This soup comes from my Heritage School cookbook.  It's nice and easy. And I know that all of our students loved it,  because
there was hardly anything left in the pot when I went to wash it!




Make It From Scratch Corn Potato Chowder
Serves 8

1.  Prepare vegetables: 
(1)  Scrub and cube 3 large potatoes. 
(3)  Chop 1 onion.
(3)  Chop 2 carrots.
(4)  Thaw 1 1/2 to 2 cups of frozen corn.

2.  Prepare soup:
(1)  Put  cups of boiling water into a soup pot.
(2)  Add the cubed potatoes
(3)  Then add the following seasonings:  1 bay leaf, 1/2 T salt,  1/2 t black ppper, 1/4 t sage,  and 1/2  t cumin.
(4)  Cook for about 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
(5) Saute onion:  Put 2 T of butter into a small skillet and sauté the onion for about 5 minutes.  And then add to the potato soup.
(6) Add 1 1/2 cups of milk to the soup (The recipe calls for cream, but I always cut down the fat!).
(7)  Then add the corn, 3 t of parsley (or add 3 T of fresh parsley).
(8)  Simmer soup for 10 minutes or until ready to serve.
(9)  You can add 2-3 cups of grated cheese to this if you like!


List of My Favorite Soups, Chili & Stew Recipes

Beef 
Grandma's Favorite Beef Stew  (My mother-in-law's delicious recipe!)
Just Like Home Ukrainian Borscht  ( a Polish student  said this tasted like his mom's!)

Poultry
This is the Best Gluten Free Minestrone Soup!   (A recipe my son modified)
Mouth Watering Italian Turkey Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)
Mexican Fiesta Chicken Soup   (A recipe I got years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
My Thanksgiving Turkey Soup  (My very own special concoction!)
Gary's Incredible Gluten Free Arkansas Gumbo  (Given to me by a Bible study friend)
Jeannie's French Market Soup  (A mom friend from when my kids were little)
Southwest Turkey Soup  (From my Syre School cookbook)

Fish
Northwest Salmon Chowder  (From my Heritage School cookbook)

Bean & Legumes
Vi's Best Chili  (A  Bible study friend's great recipe)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (One of my daughter's friends special soup)
Country-Style Lentil Soup   (From my Heritage School cookbook)
Kathy's Texas Chili & Chips (From my Come & Dine cookbook)

Vegetable
Creamy Pumpkin Soup  (from Food Network)
My Favorite Gluten Free Pumpkin Curry Soup  (Combo from Food & All Recipes)
Downright Delicious Potato & Kale Soup  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)

Asian
Chinese Chicken Soups  - Bok choy chicken, chicken & spinach, and chicken & cabbage
Make Your Own Gluten Free Chicken Pho!  (From a newspaper article)
Gluten Free Chinese Hot Pot  (Modified by a Chinese student)
Chinese Egg Drop Soup  &  Chinese Egg & Tomato Soup  (Adapted from our students)

No comments:

Post a Comment