Gluten Free & God Seeking

Friday, November 7, 2014

Gluten Free Comfort Food - Downright Delicious Tuna Noodle Casserole

Gluten free comfort food.  I knew it was good because there was hardly a bite left. And that's saying a lot because most of it was eaten up by our international students  who never had tuna noodle casserole before. 

 I was a bit nervous as I was making it wondering if they would like it or not. I knew they loved noodles and fish, but in a cheese sauce?  I've found out from our students over the years that  most Chinese don't eat much cheese in China, but when they come to America they begin to love it.  

This recipe comes from my Heritage School Cookbook; it's a new take on an old stand by. I like the way the eggs make it more like a soufflé, and, of course, it also adds a bit more nutrition.  Definitely comfort food at it's best.

Gluten Free Tuna Noodle Casserole - for 4-6

1.  Make a  sauce - In a mixing bowl put:  
(1) 2 eggs and beat them till fluffy. 
(2)  Then gradually add 1 can  of evaporated milk and then fill the can up with water and pour that in also.  Then add 1 heaping tablespoon of white rice flour, 2-3 t of salt, and 1/2 t of black pepper and beat a few minutes. 
(3) Then stir in 1 can of drained albacore tuna. 
(4)  Sauté 2-3 T  of diced onion and then stir it into the sauce.

2.  Prepare noodles:  Cook one 12 oz package off Tinkyada brown rice elbow pasta for about 14 minutes.  Rinse with cold water and drain.  

3.  Grate 4 cups of longhorn cheese.

4.  Arrange casserole - Grease a 9 x 13 pan:
(1)  Put half of the noodles on the bottom of the pan.
(2)  Stir in 2 cups of cheese.
(3)  Put the other half of the noodles on top of that.
(4)  Scatter last half of the noodles over that.  And stir into that 2 more cups of cheese. 
(5)  Pour the egg and milk mixture over the top.
Add any additional cheese on the top.  Sprinkle with paprika. 

5.  Bake  uncovered at 335 to 350 for 30-35 minutes.  Check and bake a few more minutes if necessary; let stand a few minutes before serving.

Other Italian & Greek Pasta Recipes on This Blog:

Italian & Greek Chicken:
Incredible Gluten Free Chicken Souvlaki   (My son-in-law's marinade recipe)
Chicken Cacciatore with Peppers & Mushrooms  (My mother-in-law)
You've Got to Try This Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan!  (From my church cook book, Come & Dine)

Pasta Cassroles:
The Best Gluten Free Lasagna   (From my church Come & Dine cookbook)
Delicious Gluten Free Chicken Tetrazzini     (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)
Jan's Classic  Baked Spaghetti Casserole

 Classic Pastas:
My Mom's Splendiferous Gluten Free Spaghetti  (My mother's amazing sauce!)
Ginger's Family Favorite Gluten Free Beef Stroganof   (From my friend Ginger)
Gluten Free Pasta Aioli - Sausage & Vegetable Penne  (From my daughter and son-in-law)
Incredible Gluten Free Pasta Primavera     (Combination of two Internet searches)
Fantastic Gluten Free Salmon Fettucine 
Easy to Make Gluten Free Shrimp Linguini   (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Carmine's Authentic Italian Pasta Sauce  (From my son-in-law's father who was born in Italy)

Mac & Cheeses
Fantastic Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese  (Modified from Heritage & Internet search)
Gluten Free Comfort Food - Downright Delicious Gluten Free Tuna Noodle Casserole  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Northwest Crab Mac & Cheese  - From a 5th grade friend's recipe project
Whidbey Island Crab & Noodle Bake - A classy crab mac & cheese recipe from my mother-in-law

Pizza
Judi's Gluten Free Crazy Crust Pizza -  Spinach, Artichoke & Feta Pizza (From a friend)

Soups:
This is the Best Minestrone Soup!  (From my son's Internet search and tweaking)
Mouth Watering Italian Turkey Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)

Salads:
Tasty Gluten Free Pasta Salad   (I've been making this salad for over 20 years!)
Jeremy D's Sensational Greek Salad  (From my son-in-law who is half Italian)
Michelle's Greek Quinoa Salad   (My daughter came up with this way to use quinoa)

No comments:

Post a Comment