Gluten Free & God Seeking

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

A Perfect Fall Dessert - Apple Rhubarb Pie

Fall is the perfect time for making memories with those special people in your life.  Last Thursday my nine-year-old granddaughter and I made an apple rhubarb pie from scratch.  I 've never mixed the two into a pie before, but I thought why not?  I only had about 4 cups of apple and about 3 cups of rhubarb in my freezer and left on my plant.

    Years ago my aunt gave me her recipe for strawberry rhubarb pie, and I didn't think it would hurt making that kind of substitution.   That evening while playing Jonah Go Fish we all had a slice piled high with vanilla ice cream. I could tell by the nods of appreciation, it had worked out.  
 
   If the flour needs more moisture, add ice water by the tablespoon until it's just right.   Have fun making some memories! 
.

My Grandmother's Never Fail Pie Crust

1.  Put in a medium-sized bowl - dry ingredients:   3 cups of gluten free flour, 1 teaspoon of salt and then cut in 1 1/4 cup of butter until it's like peas with a pastry cutter.

2.  In a small bowl:  Beat 1 egg with 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar and 5 T of very cold water.  Add the egg mixture to the flour and combine lightly with a fork. 

3.  Form into 2 balls.  Roll out on a lightly floured surface (I like to use rice flour for this).

4.  Make a top crust or a latticed crust from the other ball of dough.


Apple Rhubarb Filling


1.  Peel and chop up enough apples to make 4 cups.

2.  Chop us enough rhubarb to make 4 cups.

3.  Stir in 1/3 cup of rice flour and 1/3 cup of brown sugar with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.

4.  Put the filling on the crust.  Dot with butter.

5.  Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.  Check and cook for 5+ minutes.  Cool on a wire rack.




No comments:

Post a Comment