Gluten Free & God Seeking

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Authentic Creamy Refried Beans

I've been making up pots of refried beans for almost 20 years.  Today I had a Hispanic family for lunch, and  she made tostados, beans, and Spanish rice while I made chimichangas and corn. 

.Her beans were creamy and delicious and different from the ones I usually make with chili powder, cumin, and a bit of salsa.  Her rice was also different from the way I've made it, and I'll post that soon.  So of course I asked her how she made them.  I laughed when she told me that she puts milk into her beans!  I was like that's why they taste so creamy, there's actually milk in them!!

These beans are so simple, and you can have fun adding your own twists to this yummy recipe for refried beans.

 
Authentic Creamy Refried Beans
 
 
1.  Soak 2 cups of pinto beans in water about 2" above the beans overnight.
 
2.  Drain the water.  Put the beans into a crockpot or soup pot with water that's about 1" above the beans and cook until tender.  I put mine into a crockpot this morning and cooked them on high for about 6 hours. 
 
3.  Mash beans:  When the beans are tender, check your liquid and take out any excess.  I like to mash them with a bit of the bean juice until they're the consistency you like.  You can always add a little more bean juice later or use more of the milk in step 5.
 
4.  Mince 1 clove of garlic and add that plus 3 teaspoons of salt. 
 
5.  Then stir in  1/2-1  cup of milk and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
 
6.  Taste and make any flavor adjustments. 

Other Mexican recipes on this blog:

Mexican Casseroles
Texas Style Gluten Free Stacked Enchiladas  (From my Come & Dine cookbook)
Acapulco Delight - A great Mexican Enchilada (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Kathy's Baked Chili & Chips Casserole  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Fiesta Gluten Free Tamale Pie   (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Authentic Chicken Enchiladas Verde  (a church friend's mother-in-law's recipe)
Rebecca's Favorite Chicken & Chile Enchiladas  (From a church friend)
Delores's Chicken & Tortilla Casserole (Made Gluten Free)  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Great Beef Enchiladas - (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
El Dorada Beef & Cheese Casserole  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Mexican Beef & Bean Pie (From my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)

Tacos, Chimichangas  & Etc.
The Best Fish Tacos   (Modified from Food Network)
Fantastic Baked Chimichangas  (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Authentic Chicken Flautas  (My hispanic friend Abbie taught me how to make these!)
Delicious Chicken Fajitas  (A mix of many recipes)
Easy Gluten Free Baked Taquitos  (From a newspaper clip over 10 years ago)
My Son's Egg & Sausage Burritos
 
Mexican Chicken & Beef Recipes

Anna's Pollo Guisado (Mexican Braised Chicken)  (From a church friend in Phoenix)
Fantastic Gluten Free Carne Asada!  (From an Internet search--a combination of sites)
Belizean Chicken, Black Beans & Rice, and Belizean Coleslaw  (From my daughter's family)
Make Your Own Chicken Burrito Bowls  - A combo of my favorite recipes for beans &chicken

Mexican Beans
The Best Homemade Refried Beans  (Modified from an Internet search)
Sara's Grandpa's Recipe for Mexican Beans (from my nephew's wife--a yummy side dish that is thick like a stew)

Soups
Mexican Chicken Soup- A Great Remedy for Colds & Flu  (I got this over 25 years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (From a friend in California)
Southwest Turkey Soup   (From my Syre School Cookbook)

Salads
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa  (My own version of something I ate in Seattle)
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment