Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Classic Kid Food - GF Pigs in a Blanket

      Back in the day I used to love pigs in a blanket. One of my daughters likes to wrap hot dogs in those premade canisters of dough. All I could do was savor that smell.  A few days ago when I was thumbing through my daughter-in-law's family cookbook, I found the recipe to make pigs in a blanket from scratch. Yesterday I tried them out to go along with some chicken soup.


      The recipe in her cook book  was a bit vague like it was written in some family code--I didn't know how much flour to add when it just said "flour to make soft dough," but yet it had 3 cups of milk and 1 cup of butter! So I had to look up a few gluten free recipes to find out what was missing!  I worked backwards from the 4 tsp. of baking powder  it called for to figure out how much flour the recipe needed.  I decided to halve that recipe, because to be honest I was a bit nervous on how they were going to come out. One of the recipes I checked added an egg, and so I threw one in just to make sure the dough was moist enough. 

     Drum roll, please.  We were all going wow when we dipped them into our ketchup-mustard dipping sauce and took our first bites! I'm definitely going to make these for our grandkids.  They will be great with their all time favorite mac and cheese.   

GF Pigs in a Blanket

1.  Mix together dry ingredients - In  a medium-sized bowl put:
(1)  1/4 cups of white rice flour,  3/4 cup of tapioca starch, and 1/4 cup of garbanzo flour.
(2)  Stir in 2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt (One site added 1 tsp of sugar--I'll leave that one to you).

2.  Cut in 1/4 cup of butter into the flour.

3.  Then add 1/2 cup of milk.  Stir in and if needed add 2+T of milk until it's at the right consistency.
     Gluten Free Baking suggested added 1 egg to this dough. 

4.  Cut 4-6 hot dogs in half.

5.  Take a small ball of dough and pat it out until it's big enough to roll around the hot dog.

6.  Put on a parchment lined pan and bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Classic Gluten Free Kid Food

Judi's Gluten Free Crazy Crust Pizza
Fantastic Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese
Kadie's Splendiferous Spaghetti
Patty's Yummy Tater Tot Casserole
Move Over McDonald's - How to Make Your Own Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets!
I Can Make It From Scratch - Gluten Free Chicken Sliders

No comments:

Post a Comment