Gluten Free & God Seeking

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Fantastic Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese

  Macaroni and cheese brings back memories from my childhood and I'm sure along with half the children in America.  We had it frequently, with a host of other kid friendly food like Chef Boyardee pizza, fried chicken, hamburgers, and spaghetti. 


  With my grandchildren staying with me while their house is being built, I knew I had to learn how to make a gluten free mac and cheese.  

This recipe is a combination of a few mac and cheese recipes I have.  When my two year old grandson asked for seconds, I knew I had done it right!  Besides switching to gluten free noodles and flour, I only swapped some of  the cheeses for what I had.  Next time I plan to add a bit of Costco No Salt Seasoning just to give it a bit more kick.

GLUTEN FREE MACARONI & CHEESE - Serves 6

1.  Prepare vegetables:  Dice 1/2 of an onion

2.   Cook noodles:  Cook 8 oz of Tinkyada brown rice elbow pasta according to the package instructions.  Drain and put into an 8 x 8 glass pan.

3.  Make sauce:  
(1)  Melt 4 T of butter in a skillet and saute onions
(2)  Then whisk in 1/3 cup of rice flour 
(3)  Remove from the heat and slowly add 1 cup of milk and whisk until smooth.
(4)  Return to the burner and gradually add 2 1/2 to 3 cups more milk (I use almond milk sometimes) stirring until the white sauce is all mixed and smooth.
(5)  Cook for 2- 3 more minutes and add 2 cups of grated colby jack or cheddar cheese stirring to help it melt.   I added at least 2 if not 2 1/2 cups of cheese to the sauce. 
(6)  Add 1/2 T of Costco Organic No Salt Seasoning or Spike, 2 t salt, 3/4 t pepper, and taste to see if you need to add any additional salt/pepper or a bit of milk if it's too thick.

4. Combine sauce and noodles:  Pour the cheese sauce over the drained noodles that are in the 8 x 8 pan. Sprinkle with paprika and then bake the macaroni and cheese for 20 minutes at 350.


Other Italian & Greek Pasta Recipes on This Blog:

Italian & Greek Chicken:
Incredible Gluten Free Chicken Souvlaki   (My son-in-law's marinade recipe)
Chicken Cacciatore with Peppers & Mushrooms  (My mother-in-law)
You've Got to Try This Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan!  (From my church cook book, Come & Dine)

Pasta Cassroles:

The Best Gluten Free Lasagna   (From my church Come & Dine cookbook)
Delicious Gluten Free Chicken Tetrazzini     (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)

 Classic Pastas:
My Mom's Splendiferous Gluten Free Spaghetti  (My mother's amazing sauce!)
Ginger's Family Favorite Gluten Free Beef Stroganof   (From my friend Ginger)
Gluten Free Pasta Aioli - Sausage & Vegetable Penne  (From my daughter and son-in-law)
Incredible Gluten Free Pasta Primavera     (Combination of two Internet searches)
Fantastic Gluten Free Salmon Fettucine 
Easy to Make Gluten Free Shrimp Linguini   (From my Syre School Cookbook)

Mac & Cheeses
Fantastic Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese  (Modified from Heritage & Internet search)
Gluten Free Comfort Food - Downright Delicious Gluten Free Tuna Noodle Casserole  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)

Pizza
Judi's Gluten Free Crazy Crust Pizza -  Spinach, Artichoke & Feta Pizza (From a friend)

Soups:
This is the Best Minestrone Soup!  (From my son's Internet search and tweaking)
Mouth Watering Italian Turkey Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)

Salads:
Tasty Gluten Free Pasta Salad   (I've been making this salad for over 20 years!)
Jeremy D's Sensational Greek Salad  (From my son-in-law who is half Italian)
Michelle's Greek Quinoa Salad   (My daughter came up with this way to use quinoa)

No comments:

Post a Comment