Gluten Free & God Seeking

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Overnight Raisin & Walnut Crunch Coffee cake


Coffee cakes add a special touch to a Saturday morning breakfast.  Whenever I try out a new recipe, I never know if it's going to work with the gluten free flour I use.  And besides that, I didn't have any buttermilk, so I added a tablespoon of vinegar to almond milk. 

So I was a bit skeptical as I put all of this together and stuck it into my fridge!! I've never made this kind of coffee cake before; so as I baked it the next morning, I was wondering if it was going to even rise. This recipe came from my Heritage School cookbook, and it's full of delicious recipes that I've frequently posted from.

Anyway back to when the timer went off.  I was surprised when I checked it to see that it had risen. I was picturing it coming out more like a pancake than a coffee cake!  When my husband and I had a piece, we were like this tastes great! 


Overnight Raisin & Walnut Crunch Coffeecake


1.  Prepare dry ingredients - In a medium-sized bowl put:
(1)  2 cups of gluten free flour
(2)  Stir in 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. salt, 2 tsp. powdered milk, and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon.

2.  Cream butter & sugar:  In a large mixing bowl put:
(1)  3/4 cup of butter (I used 1/2 cup)
(2)  1/2 cup of brown sugar and cream them together
(3)  Beat in 2 eggs ONE at a time.

3.  Combine ingredients:  Add the dry ingredients alternately with 1 cup of buttermilk to creamed mixture. Beat well after each addition.

4.  Make streusel topping - In a small bowl put:
(1)  4 tablespoons of melted butter
(2) 1/2 cup of brown sugar (recipe calls for 1 cup!)
(3)  Stir in 1/4 tsp. nutmeg and 1 tsp. cinnamon
(4) Chop 1 cup of walnuts and 1/2 cup of raisins
(5)  Stir together.

5.  Grease a 9 x 13 pan and:
(1)  Spread half of the batter on the bottom of the pan.
(2)  Sprinkle with half of the nut mixture.
(3)  Add the remaining batter to the top.
(4)  Sprinkle with the rest of the nut & raisin topping.


6.  Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight before baking.

7.  Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until done.

 
 
Breads & Coffee Cakes: 
 
Gluten free & Low-fat Banana Bread    (From my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)
Delicious Gluten Free Zucchini Bread (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
My Favorite Gluten Free Cranberry Nut Bread  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)
Dot's Old Fashioned Pumpkin Bread   (From my father's friend)



No comments:

Post a Comment