Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

My Grandma's Pennsylvania Apple Bread

For me fall means crisp, sunny days, golden, red, and orange leaves, and  apples.  I have gotten bags of apples from my neighbors that I made into applesauce, apple crisps, and apple cake.  I still have lots of apples in my fridge, and so a few weeks ago I decided to make my grandmother's apple bread. I remember my grandma's huge crab apple tree that  stood near the lane of my grandmother's house.  When we helped her pick apples, she made delicious applesauce, pies, and apple butter. I've tried to follow a lot of her fall traditions.  I'm sure you'll like it!



My Grandma's Pennsylvania Apple Bread


1.  Bowl #1:  Cream together 1/2 cup of coconut oil or butter (I used 1/2 cup of olive oil and it came out great!) with 1 cup of sugar (I always reduce sugar a bit).

2.  Bowl #2:  Put 4 T of sour milk or buttermilk into a small dish and mix with 1 teaspoon of soda.

3. Bowl #3:  Beat 2 eggs and then add 1 teaspoon of vanilla.

4.  Bowl #4: In a bowl put 2/3 cup each of rice flour, sorghum flour, and tapioca flour and stir in 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.

5.  Bowl #5:  Dice 2 cups of apples.

6.  Take the contents of bowl #2 the sour milk/buttermilk and add it to Bowl #1 the sugar mixture. Then mix in the contents of bowl #3 the eggs and vanilla.

7.  Stir in the contents of bowl #4 the flour mixture until combined and then fold in the diced apples in bowl #5 and 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts.

8.  Put into a greased loaf pan. 

9.  Optional topping:  2 T of rice flour, 2 T of brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and 2 T of melted butter.

10.  Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes (I always check 5 minutes early) or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Breads & Coffee Cakes: Gluten free & Low-fat Banana Bread    (From my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)
Celebrate Fall With Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread  (A friend's recipe)
Delicious Gluten Free Zucchini Bread (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
My Favorite Gluten Free Cranberry Nut Bread  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)
Claudia's Blueberry Coffee Cake (Made Gluten Free!)   (From a former neighbor)
Here's a Zucchini Bread with a Hawaiian Twist! Gluten Free Pineapple Zucchini Bread (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Dot's Old Fashioned Pumpkin Bread   (From my father's friend)

No comments:

Post a Comment