Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Harvest Apple tarts

I'm running out of ideas for apples.  I saw these apple tarts in a grocery store, and it gave me an idea. So a few weeks ago one of my granddaughters and I made them!  I've never made this before, so it was a lot of fun to do this together! 
 
These tars are a combination of two different recipes from my church cookbook.  The one in the store had a few craisins, and it gave it a colorful touch.  I realized as I was making these that tarts are a nice way to cut half the carbs and fat because they don't need a top crust. Each single pie crust makes 6.  These tarts were so good with ice cream!
 
 

 Mini Harvest Apple Tarts - Made Gluten Free
 For 6-8

 1.  Prepare apples:
(1)  Dice 4 cups of apples. 
(2)  Mix with about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1  tsp. cinnamon, and 1/4 cup tapioca starch, and 1-2 tsp. of vanilla (I got this from a website).
(3)  Optional: You can add a few tablespoons of craisins to this mixture.
(4)  Note:   I put this on the stove for about 10 minutes to partially cook it. Stir continuously so it doesn't stick.
 
 2.  Prepare tart crust - In a medium-sized bowl put:
(1)  1 1/4 cups of gluten free flour- I used 1/4 cup each of brown rice flour, sorghum, tapioca, coconut, and fava flours. Stir in 1/4 tsp. salt.
(2)  Cut 1/2 cup of butter into the flour until it resembles peas.
(3)  Add 2+ T of ice cold water and use a fork to combine. I needed to use 4 T of water.
(4)  Form into a ball and roll out into a circle.  Then use a 3 1/2"  bowl to cut out the tart shells.

3. Prepare tarts:
(1)  Put tart shells onto a baking sheet or parchment paper.
(2)  Add enough pie filling to go about 1/2 to 1" of the edges--about 2-3 tablespoons. Then fold up the edges slightly, leaving the center of the tart open. 
(3)  You can brush this with a beaten egg if you like to do that.

4.  Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until golden.

 Crisps & Pies:
Lena's Rhubarb Crunch (A crisp with a gluten free top and bottom crust!) (My daughter-in-law's mother. She's an amazing cook, which I think most of us moms become after a few years!)
Delicious Gluten Free Apple Crisp    (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Ginger's Outrageous Apple Pie    (From a church friend)

The BEST Lemon Meringue Pie
My Grandmother's Favorite Banana Cream Pie  (A recipe from my grandmother)
Granny's Lemon Cheesecake Squares   (From my friend Judi's granny)
Simple & Gluten Free Chocolate Cream Pie   (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Judi's No Fail Gluten Free Pie Crust    (From my friend Judi)

1 comment: