Gluten Free & God Seeking

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Family Brunch Favorite - Blueberry GF Coffee Cake

    Our family likes to do brunches because you can showcase so many delicious combinations of foods.  Normally we go with a baked egg dish, bacon and sausage, coffee cake and muffins, and yogurt parfaits.  This past winter I was on the list for a gluten free alternative.  I went with a coffee cake that came from one of my daughter's home ec recipes from the '90s.

     This blueberry coffee cake was easy to make gluten free.  With all gluten free baking I've found out that a lot hinges on the types of flours you use.  This combination came out not too dry or off tasting which can easily happen when you're using GF flours.  I could tell it was a hit when I found the pan with just a few pieces in it!  Of course who can resist blueberries in anything.  They made each bite moist and delicious!  

 Blueberry Coffee Cake

1.  In a medium-sized bowl mix together:
 1 1/2 cups of gluten free flour (I went with 1/2 cup of sorghum, rice, and tapioca flours), 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon.

2.  In your mixer bowl put:
(1)  1/4 cup of butter or coconut oil (that's what I used)
(2) 3/4 cup of yogurt (I used almond probiotic drink with 2 teaspoons of tapioca flour because my son is dairy free, and it came out great still).
(3) 1 large egg or 2 small and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
(4)  Beat for 30 seconds with electric mixer.
.
3.  Prepare pan:  Grease a round layer cake pan.
(1)  Spoon the cake batter into the prepared pan.
(2)  Scatter blueberries across the top.

4.  Make streusel topping - In a small mixing bowl put:
(1)  1/3 cup of brown sugar (I always put a little bit less.)
(2)  1/4 cup of rice flour, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
(3)  Optional:  Chop 2 tablespoons of walnuts.
(4)  3 tablespoons of butter
(5)  Mix all ingredients until crumbly. Scatter over the top of the coffee cake.

5.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.

Breads & Coffee Cakes: 
Gluten free & Low-fat Banana Bread    (From my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)
Celebrate Fall With Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread  (A friend's recipe)
Delicious Gluten Free Zucchini Bread (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
My Favorite Gluten Free Cranberry Nut Bread  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)
Claudia's Blueberry Coffee Cake (Made Gluten Free!)   (From a former neighbor)
Here's a Zucchini Bread with a Hawaiian Twist! Gluten Free Pineapple Zucchini Bread (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Dot's Old Fashioned Pumpkin Bread   (From my father's friend)

No comments:

Post a Comment