Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, November 21, 2019

Move Over Green Bean Casserole! This Thanksgiving Try Grandma's Country Green Beans

I've loved green beans all my life. Even before I lived for a year on my grandparent's 110 acre farm in Pennsylvania.  They're always delicious.  And this awesome green bean recipe comes from my dear mother-in-law. Over the years she's made this recipe for special occasions, probably because they simmer for about 2 hours.

Last fall when we were spending the night with her, she served these green beans with one of her stellar dinners.  This time I asked her to tell me how she does it. When I made these a few weeks ago, I didn't have any bacon on hand, and they still came out fantastic tasting.  Since I got diagnosed with celiac, I have to come up with runner ups for that famous green bean casserole I used to make every Thanksgiving. This time, I'm making Grandma's green beans! 
 


Grandma's Country Green Beans
 
1.  Prepare green beans:
(1)  Rinse and snap 1 pound of green beans.
(2)  Cut the beans 2 or 3 times lengthwise.
(3)  Dice half of an onion.
(4)  Cut 2 pieces of bacon into small pieces.
 

2.  Put beans in a pot with water to cover and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the onion and bacon pieces.  Bring beans to a boil, and then simmer for 2 hours. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment