Gluten Free & God Seeking

Friday, February 12, 2016

Savory Roasted Root Vegetables

    In December my husband and I went out to dinner with some of his family.  It was a beautiful buffet, and along with the prime rib they served mashed potatoes and some roasted root vegetables that were so tasty.  Definitely a taste that I wanted to savor with every bite.  

 Actually they were so good that I decided to make them the next  week so the international students who board with us could know what I was talking about.   

I served these roasted vegetables with oven fried chicken, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and a salad. I don't remember where I picked up this recipe, but it brought home all those same amazing flavors!  

ROASTED ROOT VEGETABLES

1.  Prepare 3 pounds of root vegetables - Scrub all the vegetables and then cut them into 1" cubes: or all different kinds of shapes:
(1)  1 rutabaga
(2)  2-3 parsnips
(3)  2-3 beets
(4)  1/4 to 1/2 of a medium sized butternut squash
(5)  2-3 sweet potatoes
(6)  3 carrots
(7)  Optional:  1 onion and 2 Yukon gold potatoes.  You can also substitute turnips for the rutabaga.

2.  Toss with seasonings:   Place in a large bowl or just do it in the pan and toss with 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 1 teaspoon each of rosemary, thyme, and sage.  


3.  Roast vegetables:  Put them in a large  9 x 13 pan and roast at 400 for 20-25 minutes.  Flip and then roast another  20-25 minutes or until tender.

List of Vegetarian Recipes on this Blog:

Pasta:
Oh So Good Vegetarian Lasagna  (From Internet search)
Fantastic Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese  (Modified from Heritage & Internet search)
Making Pad Thai With a Thai Student  (Just omit the chicken)
 
Other Main Dish Entrees:
Scalloped Potatoes  (My Mother-in-law's recipe)
Gluten Free Mexican Quinoa Casserole  (From an Internet search)
 
Recipes with Quinoa:
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa   (My copycat of a salad I had at a restaurant)
 
Tofu & Rice Main Dishes:
Gluten Free Tofu & Vegetable Stir Fry   (Modified from Internet)
Orange "Beef" Tofu Stir Fry   (Modified from Internet)
Vietnamese Saigon Style Tofu Curry  (Idea from Internet search; curry sauce recipe from a friend)

 Beans:
Grandma Pitcher's Family Favorite Baked Beans   (My husband's grandmother gave me this)

Breakfast for Dinner:
Hash Brown Egg Casserole  (From my friend Lisa)
Mexican Migas Breakfast Casserole  (Modified from a recipe from an airport cookbook)
Baked Zucchini Frittata  (I picked this up from a Whidbey Island farmer's market)

No comments:

Post a Comment