Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Gluten Free Comfort Food - Mom's Scalloped Potatoes

   Scalloped potatoes make me think about my grandmother.  She was born in a small town in southern Missouri, and my love for Southern food comes from her!

    Recently I made these scalloped potatoes with oven fried chicken, home made baked beans, baked squash, and cole slaw for a welcome home dinner for my son.   All I was missing was the biscuits. 

   This wonderful gluten free recipe comes from my mother-in-law whose father was from Missouri People from the South have this thing about scalloped potatoes!  I only added 1/2 T of Costco's No Salt seasoning and a bit more milk and cheese to thin out the sauce.

Gluten Free Scalloped Potatoes  - for 8

1.  Prepare potatoes, onion & cheese:  
(1)  Scrub 6 medium russet potatoes.  Then slice them thinly.
(2)  Mince enough onion for 1/4 cup.
(3)  Rinse with cold water and spread them in a 9 x 13 pan.  
(4)  Then grate  1 1/2 -2 cups of cheddar cheese or a mix of cheeses and set aside.


2.  Prepare cheese sauce:  My mother-in-law uses mushroom soup but this is the basic gluten free white sauce recipe that I used instead:
(1)   In a skillet melt 1/4 cup of butter, and add 1/4 cup of minced onion and stir them until they brown.
(2)   Stir in 4 T brown rice flour, 2 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper, 1/2 T Costco No Salt Seasoning, and use a whisk to remove any lumps from the sauce. 
(3)  Then slowly stir in 2 cups of milk, and cook until thickened.  If it needs more flour, mix 1 T in a bit of milk and slowly whisk it in. Then add the cheddar cheese, and stir and cook for 1 minute. Taste and make any adjustments.
(4)  Pour cheese sauce over the potatoes in the pan. 
Note:  If you want to make this a main dish casserole, you can add cubes of ham and mix in.

3. Bake at 350 covered for 50-60 minutes.  If you like, put a bit more cheddar cheese on the top and let the potatoes cook for 10 more minutes uncovered.  



List of Vegetarian Recipes on this Blog:

Pasta:
Oh So Good Vegetarian Lasagna  (From Internet search)
Fantastic Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese  (Modified from Heritage & Internet search)
Making Pad Thai With a Thai Student  (Just omit the chicken)

Other Main Dish Entrees:
Scalloped Potatoes  (My Mother-in-law's recipe)

 Recipes with Quinoa:
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa   (My copycat of a salad I had at a restaurant)
Tofu & Rice Main Dishes:
Gluten Free Tofu & Vegetable Stir Fry   (Modified from Internet)
Orange "Beef" Tofu Stir Fry   (Modified from Internet)
Vietnamese Saigon Style Tofu Curry  (Idea from Internet search; curry sauce recipe from a friend)

 
Beans:
Grandma Pitcher's Family Favorite Baked Beans   (My husband's grandmother gave me this)

Breakfast for Dinner:
Hash Brown Egg Casserole  (From my friend Lisa)
Mexican Migas Breakfast Casserole  (Modified from a recipe from an airport cookbook)
Baked Zucchini Frittata  (I picked this up from a Whidbey Island farmer's market)

No comments:

Post a Comment