Gluten Free & God Seeking

Sunday, July 7, 2013

How Do We Practically Enjoy Grace in Galatians 5:18?


 
I like to read on the plane.  And that’s what I was doing this morning on an early flight out of Southern California where we had spent the week in a Bible study on Genesis.  I'm almost done with the Life-study of Galatians so I pulled it out.  My heart gets touched when what I read overlaps with a message I’ve recently heard. One of the messages on Genesis talked a bit about Enosh, a grandson of Adam and Eve. 


Here’s a short background so you get where I’m heading with this:  After Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil which signified Satan’s evil nature, they were sent out of the garden.  Their first two sons were Cain and Abel. It’s alarming that Satan’s evil nature within man caused Cain to kill his own brother.  I’m sure Adam and Eve were heartbroken as are all families who know dysfunction. 

I learned more this week that Satan hates the purpose of God seen in Genesis 1:26 that man was  made to express and represent God. Because of that  Satan’s always trying to damage God’s plan.  The Bible says in Genesis 4:26 that Eve's son Seth gave his son the name Enosh which means in Hebrew frail, mortal man. I like this part of the verse "...At that time men began to call upon the name of Jehovah."

       As I was reading this morning, I came across a section that talked about calling on the Lord. The last verse in Galatians says, "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers, Amen."  I chose out these excerpts from chapter 43 of the Life-Study of Galatians because they show clearly how calling on the Lord helps us to enjoy God's grace:
Grace here is Christ Himself as our enjoyment.  Today Christ as the Spirit is in our spirit for our experience and enjoyment….We  may enjoy the  Lord in our spirit simply by calling on His name....I have come to the conclusion that the best way to enjoy the Lord is to call on Him….We know that this was a mark of believers in the first century by the fact that Saul of Tarsus was given authority by the chief priests to bind all those who called on the Lord’s name.  Calling on the name of the Lord Jesus should also be a mark of believers today….But just as we cannot stay alive if we “graduate” from breathing, so we cannot live spiritually if we stop calling on the name of the Lord? (Lee, Witness. Life-Study of Galatians. Anaheim: Living Stream Ministry, 1980, Print).
When I read what I was writing to my husband this morning, he told me that it reminded him of that verse in Romans 10 that says, "Whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."  And this salvation is not once for all but something we can experience day every day! 

 Here's a song that I like to listen to  that's a prayer for daily grace, it's called, Lord, Grant Me Today's Supply of Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment