Gluten Free & God Seeking

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Why the High Priest in Hebrews 2:17 Makes Me Think of the Poem Footprints

 I grew up thinking priests were robed figures with high turbans that you told your sins to.  Christ being our High Priest is actually a lot more that that. Keep reading and you'll see how. 

I took this picture on Whidbey Island.
Hence He should have been made like His brothers in all things that He might become a merciful and faithful High Priest in the things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people.  Hebrews 2:17

I was amazed to learn In Chapter 13 of the Life-Study of Hebrews (on pages 141-142)  that the two words merciful and faithful in Hebrews 2:17 point out Christ's two natures:


Why does the writer of Hebrews use the words merciful and faithful to describe this High Priest?  Why does he not us just one word or more than two?  The answer is that in the first two chapters of this book the writer has mainly covered two points--that Christ is the Son of God, God Himself, and the Son of Man, man Himself.  Merciful corresponds with His being a man, and faithful corresponds with HIs being God.  In order to be faithful we not only need virtue but also ability.  Suppose I have spoken a word to you as a promise. Although my virtue may be good, I may not have the ability to keep my word.  I have the heart to be faithful in keeping my word, but I lack the ability….But this High Priest is not merely an honest man; He is the faithful God. God is faithful (10:23).  He will fulfill whatever He says.  God never lies (6:18). Whatever He has spoken He is able to fulfill. He has every means to fulfill what He has spoken.  Only God can be fully faithful….What can frustrate God from fulfilling His word? Nothing.  Jesus can be a faithful High Priest because He is the very Almighty God. Since He, as the Son of God, is God Himself, He is able to be faithful (Lee, Witness. Life-Study of Hebrews. Anaheim: Living Stream Ministry, 1975, Print).
  Because Jesus put on our human nature, He can sympathize with us and be merciful toward us.  As our High Priest, Christ knows what we're going through.  He was made like us for this very purpose so that He can connect with us and bear our sorrows. And because He's God, He doesn't ever let go of us--He is faithful to always come and speak the word we need.  

  As I was thinking about Christ being our High Priest, I thought of the Footprints poem.  Over 20 years ago my grandmother on my mom's side sent me a card with this poem.  It's in a frame in my bedroom because it's very meaningful to me.  To me this poem really portrays the depth of what it's like to experience Christ as our High Priest. 



Footprints
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints.
Other times there was one set of footprints.
This bothered me because I noticed that 
During the low periods of my life when I was
Suffering from anguish, sorrow, or defeat,
I would see only one set of footprints.


So I said to the Lord, "You promised me,
Lord, that if I followed You,
You would walk with me always.
But I noticed that during the 
most trying periods
Of my life there have only been
One set of prints in the sand.
Why when I have needed You most,
You have not been there for me?"
The Lord replied,
"The times when you have seen only one set of footprints
Is where I carried you."



You can  also listen to live excerpts from these messages on Hebrews on The Life-Study of the Bible with Witness Lee.  You will enjoy listening to both  the excerpts  from these spoken messages and the helpful and enlightening commentary of the radio hosts.

Other Posts on the Life-Study of Hebrews:


Why is the Background of the Book of Hebrews Important?
What Does God's Speaking Show us In Hebrews 1:1-2?
What Does Hebrews 2:10 Say About Christ?
How Does the Lord Sanctify Us In Hebrews 2:11?
Why the High Priest in Hebrews 2:17 Makes Me Think of the Poem Footprints
Why is the Sabbath Rest Mentioned in Hebrews 4:9?
Why Unbelief in Hebrews 3:12 is the Biggest Offense to God
How Do We Come Forward in Hebrews 4:16?
What Hebrews 6:1 Says About Christian Maturity
What Does Hebrews 8 Tell Us About the Differences Between the Old & New Testaments?
What Does It Mean to Gain our Soul in Hebrews 10:39?
Have You Seen God's Silence in Hebrews 11?
How Do You Run the Christian Race in Hebrews 12?
What is the Birthright About in Hebrews 12:16?
From the Life-Study of Hebrews - What is the Central Concept of the Bible?
What's the Focus of the Book of Hebrews?

No comments:

Post a Comment