Gluten Free & God Seeking

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Touching Account From Church History on the Apostle John

   "What a person believes will shape his living."  That line from chapter 43 of the Life-Study of John made me think about this apostle. These men weren't writing nice sounding stuff that didn't affect the way they lived.  Years ago I read a story about the Apostle John when he was an elderly man that touched me deeply. Here's my paraphrase on this story; if you'd like to, you can read the complete story on Jesus Walk. 
 
I enjoy seeing our ornamental cherry tree
blossoming again!

   One of the church father's named Eusebius wrote that after John returned from Patmos where Caesar had exiled him, he settled in the city of Ephesus. On one of his visits to an outlying church he met a young man who impressed him so much that he put him under the care of one of the leading ones. 
    
    At first this believer was very vigilant in watchful over this young man. But after a period of time, he grew a bit lax in his oversight. Eventually this young man started hanging out in the mountains with a gang of robbers, and he even became their chief because he was the cruelest. 

   Later when John needed to return to that church, he asked the brothers how that young man was doing. When they filled him on what had happened, John quickly got directions and headed out on a horse.  As he neared their hideout, the gang lookout  captured John and brought him to their leader, this very same young man.  When he saw John, he ran away from him in shame, but John ran after him.  John's response to this young man are very touching:

"Why, my son do you flee from me, your own father, unarmed; aged?  Pity me, my son; fear not, you have still hope of life.  I will give account of Christ for you.  If need be, I will willingly endure death as the Lord suffered death for us.   For you I will give my life.  Stand, believe, Christ has sent me."    

   The young man couldn't help but weep when he heard John's words.  John assured him that the Lord would forgive him.  Then John took him back to where he was lodging, and he spent time praying for him, and he didn't leave that town until that young man was spiritually established in the church again.  Don't you see in this beautiful account the loving and forgiving heart of God? John like all of the apostles became a duplication of God's heart because what they believed in really shaped not only what they said but what they did!  

No comments:

Post a Comment