Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Asian Curried Chicken Soup

The curry in this  chicken soup is just right.  Slightly warming, fragrant, and makes the entire pot delicious.  This soup is also loaded with vegetables so it really makes a great main dish soup.  

I got this recipe from my Come & Dine cookbook, a collection of recipes put together to help our young people go to away for a week of learning about the Bible.

 I tweaked a few things. Our four international students loved the curry in this soup.  Most of them also added some Sriracha to their bowls.







Curried Chicken Soup

1.  Prepare broth - In a large soup pot put:
(1)  8 cups of water with 2 T of fresh lemon juice.
(2)  A 3 lb. skinned whole chicken
(3)  Add the following seasonings:1 T salt, 1 t black pepper,  1 1/2 t Indian curry, 1/2 t sage, 1/2 t oregano, and 2 bay leaves 
(4)  Simmer for 1 1/2 hours and skim off foam from the top.
(5)  Bone and break or cut pieces into bite-sized pieces.

2.  Meanwhile prepare vegetables:
(1)  Chop 1 onion.
(2)  Chop 4 large carrots.
(3)  Chop 3 celery.
(4)  Cube 2 potatoes.
(5)  Slice 2 cups of cabbage.

3. Prepare soup - After chicken is done:
(1) Add all the vegetables and simmer for 1 hour.
(2) Taste and add more  curry, salt, and black pepper, 2 T chicken bouillon.
(3)  The original recipe is slightly thickened:  If you would like to thicken this soup, (I've done it both ways), then mix 1/2 cup of rice flour with 4 T butter to make a smooth paste.  Add a bit of soup and whisk until smooth. Then gradually add to the pot of soup. 

List of My Favorite Soups, Chili & Stew Recipes

Beef 
Grandma's Favorite Beef Stew  (My mother-in-law's delicious recipe!)
Just Like Home Ukrainian Borscht   (A Polish student  said this tasted like his mom's!)

Poultry
This is the Best Gluten Free Minestrone Soup!   (A recipe my son modified)
Mouth Watering Italian  Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)
Mexican Fiesta Chicken Soup   (A recipe I got years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
My Thanksgiving Turkey Soup  (My very own special concoction!)
Gary's Incredible Gluten Free Arkansas Gumbo  (Given to me by a Bible study friend from Arkansas)
Jeannie's French Market Soup  (A friend from when my kids were little)
Southwest Turkey Soup  (From my Syre School cookbook)

Fish
Northwest Salmon Chowder  (From my Heritage School cookbook)
Almost Like Ivar's Clam Chowder (From my Come & Dine Cookbook)

Bean & Legumes
Vi's Best Chili  (A  Bible study friend's great recipe)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (One of my daughter's friends special soup)
Country-Style Lentil Soup   (From my Heritage School cookbook)
Kathy's Texas Chili & Chips (From my Come & Dine cookbook)
Spicy Cuban Black Bean Soup (From a store recipe card)
Vegetable
Creamy Pumpkin Soup  (from Food Network)
My Favorite Gluten Free Pumpkin Curry Soup  (Combo from Food & All Recipes)
Downright Delicious Potato & Kale Soup  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)
A Great Fall Soup - Make it From Scratch Corn Potato Chowder  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)

Asian
Chinese Chicken Soups  - Bok choy chicken, chicken & spinach, and chicken & cabbage (Modified from Internet search by our Chinese students)
Make Your Own Gluten Free Chicken Pho!  (Modified from a newspaper article)
Gluten Free Chinese Hot Pot  (Modified by a Chinese student)
Chinese Egg Drop Soup  &  Chinese Egg & Tomato Soup  (Modified  from a student's recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment