Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Curried Mushroom & Apple Chicken

   Don't let the name of this chicken recipe fool you.  In my Come & Dine cookbook it's called Apple Country Chicken, but the curry in the sauce is so notable that I have tweaked the name.  I made this recipe for the second time last weekend and as I chopped, measured, and tasted, I made a few adjustments with the spices.  


 When our four international students bit into it, they were full of compliments.  Probably because this recipe definitely had an Asian flare.  Of course, they love anything with curry and mushrooms, and I knew that. But aside from that, the sauce was so yummy. 

At first I really didn't know how the apple juice would work as the base for this sauce--but it's absolutely perfect!  It's not overpowering, and the blend of apples, onions, and mushrooms make the sauce  absolutely delicious!

Curried Mushroom & Apple Chicken

1.  Prepare fruit & vegetables:
(1)  Chop 1 large golden delicious apple.
(2)  Dice 1 large yellow onion.
(3)  Slice 1/2 to 1 cup of mushrooms. I used 1 cup. 
(4)  For Garnish:  Slice 2 green onions.

2.  Prepare chicken:  Skin and trim 3 1/2 pounds of chicken thighs.  I used legs and wings, too.  Put in a  9 x 13 pan.

3.  In a medium skillet put:
(1)  2 T of coconut oil and add 3 t of Indian curry powder (The recipe calls for just 1 t, but I knew it wouldn't be enough for these Asian students who love curry! But you can start with 1, taste it, and make your own decision)  and cook for 1-2 minutes.
(2)  Add the onion and apple and cook for 3 minutes.
(3)  Then add 1 T fresh lemon juice, mushrooms, 2 t of Chicken Better Than Bouillon, 2 t of salt, 1/2 t black pepper, and 1 1/2 cups of apple juice. Increase heat and bring to a boil.   
(4)  Then pour the sauce over the chicken.

4.  Bake chicken at 350 for 50 minutes.  When the chicken is done, put on a platter and cover while you thicken up the sauce. 

5.  Thicken the sauce:
(1)  Pour the sauce that's in the pan back into the skillet.
(2)  Whisk 2-3 T of tapioca starch into 1/2 cup of apple juice and gradually stir it into the sauce. Stir until the sauce it's thickened. 
(3)  Taste and make any adjustments.
(4)  Pour over the chicken pieces and garnish with the green onion.

Serve with white rice or mashed potatoes.

List of other  recipes with chicken legs/thighs on this blog:

Asian:
Gluten Free Soy Sauce Chicken   (Modified from Internet search)
Tasty Gluten Free Filipino Chicken Adobo  (Modified from Internet search)
Gluten Free Sweet & Sour Chicken (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)

Italian & Greek:
Chicken Souvlaki   (Marinade for chicken from my son-in-law)
Gluten Free Chicken Cacciatore With Peppers & Mushrooms  (Modified from Internet search)
Delicious Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan   (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)

Mexican:
Pollo Guisado (Mexican Braised Chicken)  (From a church friend in Phoenix)
Belizean Chicken, Black Beans & Rice, and Belizean Coleslaw  (From my daughter's family)

American Favorites:
Amazing BBQ Chicken    (From my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)
The Best Gluten Free Oven Fried Chicken   (From my sister-in-law)
Fantastic Gluten Free Chicken Kabobs  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Great for Summer BBQ - Lemon Rosemary Chicken Legs  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)

No comments:

Post a Comment