Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Whidbey Island Crab & Noodle Bake (Of Course, It's Gluten Free!)

When I went through my mother-in-law's recipe cards last fall, I asked her about this crab dish.  She told me that one of her summer neighbors on Whidbey Island would catch a lot of crab, and then she would make this recipe. One time they invited them down for dinner, and she said this was so good.  She's had this recipe for more than 40 years!

 When our own kids were growing up, we'd go up to their cabin each summer, and we would put out the crab pot.  We were so excited to catch crabs that we so we could make  made crab louie or have it with some steak.  

  I usually don't make recipes like this because it takes extra time  making the gluten free soup substitutions.  But this week I wanted to finally try out this recipe.  And wow, am I glad I did!  



Whidbey Island Crab & Noodle Bake

1.  Prepare vegetables
(1)  Dice 1/2 cup of white button mushrooms
(2)  Dice 1 green pepper.  (I used red pepper, and it was great!)
(3)   Slice1 small can of black and stuffed green olives  (I just used the green olives)
(4)   Dice up 1/2 cup of onion.
(5)  Saute onion, green pepper, and mushrooms in 1 T of butter. Set aside until needed.

2. Prepare gluten free chicken & mushroom soup - In a large skillet put:  (This recipe calls for 1 can of cream of mushroom and 1 can of cream of chicken soup so here's the  gluten free recipe that I use instead): 
(1)  Melt 1/4 cup of butter  (My  mother-in-law's recipe calls for 1/2 cup of butter, but I'm always trying to reduce fat)  then whisk in  3 T of tapioca starch.  Gradually whisk in 2 1/2 cups of  milk.  
(2)  Then add 3 tsp. of Chicken Better Than Bouillon, 1 tsp. of salt and 3/4 tsp. of black pepper.
(3) Add the sautéed vegetables.
(4)  Taste and make any adjustments. 

3.  Prepare gluten free noodles:  Put 3 cups of gluten free macaroni into a pot of boiling water and cook according to directions  (I've noticed that these noodles cook up in about 11-12 minutes so check them before the time on the bag).  I used the entire 12 oz.bag of Tiinkyada elbow noodles.  Keep a bit of the pasta water to add to the soup mixture if it becomes too thick after it's cooled down.


4.  Make sauce - to the gluten free soup that's in the skillet add:
(1)  Cool soup mixture a bit and then whisk in 3/4 cup of mayonnaise and 4 beaten eggs.
(2)  Stir in the green and black olives. 
(3)  Then stir in 1 1/2 to 2 cups of grated cheddar. Do you need any pasta water?
(4)  Add 6 oz of fresh/canned crab meat and  small shrimp.  (I just used 2 cans of crab)

5.  Put noodles  into a 9 x 13 baking pan. Then add the soup mixture and stir to combine the noodles. Add some cheese on top then sprinkle with paprika..

5.  Bake at 325-335 for 1 hour.  (I would bake it for 45-50 minutes and then check it because my oven always runs hot.)

Other Italian & Greek Pasta Recipes on This Blog:

Italian & Greek Chicken:
Incredible Gluten Free Chicken Souvlaki   (My son-in-law's marinade recipe)
Chicken Cacciatore with Peppers & Mushrooms  (My mother-in-law)
You've Got to Try This Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan!  (From my church cook book, Come & Dine)

Pasta Cassroles:
The Best Gluten Free Lasagna   (From my church Come & Dine cookbook)
Delicious Gluten Free Chicken Tetrazzini     (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)

 Classic Pastas:
My Mom's Splendiferous Gluten Free Spaghetti  (My mother's amazing sauce!)
Ginger's Family Favorite Gluten Free Beef Stroganof   (From my friend Ginger)
Gluten Free Pasta Aioli - Sausage & Vegetable Penne  (From my daughter and son-in-law)
Incredible Gluten Free Pasta Primavera     (Combination of two Internet searches)
Fantastic Gluten Free Salmon Fettucine 
Easy to Make Gluten Free Shrimp Linguini   (From my Syre School Cookbook)

Mac & Cheeses
Fantastic Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese  (Modified from Heritage & Internet search)
Gluten Free Comfort Food - Downright Delicious Gluten Free Tuna Noodle Casserole  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Northwest Crab Mac & Cheese  - From a 5th grade friend's recipe project
Whidbey Island Crab & Noodle Bake - A classy crab mac & cheese recipe from my mother-in-law

Pizza
Judi's Gluten Free Crazy Crust Pizza -  Spinach, Artichoke & Feta Pizza (From a friend)

Soups:
This is the Best Minestrone Soup!  (From my son's Internet search and tweaking)
Mouth Watering Italian Turkey Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)

Salads:
Tasty Gluten Free Pasta Salad   (I've been making this salad for over 20 years!)
Jeremy D's Sensational Greek Salad  (From my son-in-law who is half Italian)
Michelle's Greek Quinoa Salad   (My daughter came up with this way to use quinoa)

1 comment:


  1. Thank you for sharing all these amazing and truly delicious recipes! We’d be happy to build a partnership with such a dedicated food blogger and get you promoted at our official FB with over 22K followers. Please visit our website to learn more about the opportunities you may get with us: http://talktochef.com/howitworks/affiliates . Feel free to contact me at kamila@talktochef.com for any additional information.
    Thank you!
    Kamila

    ReplyDelete