Gluten Free & God Seeking

Tuesday, February 4, 2020

A Winter Time Fav - Classic Date Nut Bread

Dates are so good.   I grew up in California, and loved it when my parents bought Hadley dates. My brother was born in Palm Springs, and last April on our way to Arizona, we all stopped in at Hadley's. They are definitely a  great place to stop and grab some yummy snacks for the trek across the desert. 

In the past I've made scones with dates and hermit cookies which contain finely chopped dates, but today I'm showcasing classic date nut bread. This recipe comes from a fundraiser cookbook from the first school I taught at.

So this morning one of my daughters came over, and while the snow was falling, we read out of the book we're going through and enjoyed some date bread and tea.  Ahh, now that's one of my favorite ways to spend a winter morning!



Classic Date Nut Bread

1.  Prepare dates - In a small mixing bowl put and let sit while mixing the dry ingredients:
 1 cup of boiling water and 1 cup of chopped dates.

2.  Prepare dry ingredients - In a large mixing bowl put:

(1)  2 cups of your favorite gluten free flour mix- I usually use 2/3 cup of white rice flour, 2/3 cup of sorghum flour, and 2/3 cup of tapioca flour.
(2)  Stir in 1 tsp. of baking soda and 1/2 tsp. of salt.
(3)  Then add 1 cup of sugar (I usually use 3/4 cup) and 1 cup of chopped walnuts.

3.  Beat 1 egg

4.  Melt 3 T of butter in a small pan. (I used olive oil yesterday, and it came out great!)

5.  Combine ingredients:
(1)  Add the date mixture to the flour mixture
(2)  Then stir in the beaten egg and the melted butter.
(3)  Mix until combined.


6.  Grease a loaf pan or you can use 3 mini loaf pans.  Bake at 300-325 for 45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.

Breads & Coffee Cakes: Gluten free & Low-fat Banana Bread    (From my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)
Celebrate Fall With Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread  (A friend's recipe)
Delicious Gluten Free Zucchini Bread (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
My Favorite Gluten Free Cranberry Nut Bread  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)
Claudia's Blueberry Coffee Cake (Made Gluten Free!)   (From a former neighbor)
Here's a Zucchini Bread with a Hawaiian Twist! Gluten Free Pineapple Zucchini Bread (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Dot's Old Fashioned Pumpkin Bread   (From my father's friend)

2 comments:

  1. I love your cooking ideas! And I love the Word of God, especially during these times. The Lord is our solid Rock on which to stand! I really appreciate your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! We've also appreciated God's word during these trying months of the pandemic.

      Delete