Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, December 6, 2018

A Potluck Favorite - Old Fashioned GF Apple Crumble

    I like making apple crisps more than an apple pie.  Probably because I don't have to fuss with a crust, and I can make it without peeling the apple!  That's a big time saver.  In the past month I've been trying to make a dent in the piles of apples I have everywhere. from the neighbors  I've been even giving apples to friends, and this recipe comes from one that a friend used to make for a church potluck. I couldn't eat it because she used regular flour. I never made a crisp that with flour in the topping.  Her dessert got so many rave reviews, I asked her for the recipe because I wanted to make it with gf flour and see how it came out! I've made it twice so far.  
 I learned from a website that the difference between a crisp and a crumble is the use of flour so it becomes more like a streusel topping.  You can opt to use a bit of oatmeal if you like. The pan below is half of the recipe.



       Gluten Free Apple Crumble

1.  Prepare apples:
(1)  Cut up enough sliced apples to fill a 9 x 13 pan a little over 3/4ths  full--about 8-10 cups.
(2)  Add 1/3 cup of brown sugar,  a few tablespoons tapioca starch, 1 tsp. cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg and stir to coat all the apples.

2.  Prepare topping - In a medium-sized bowl put:
(1)  1/4 cup each sorghum flour, rice flour, fava, and tapioca flour,  1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp. nutmeg.
(2)  Melt 1/3 cup of butter and stir into the flour/oat mixture. (My apple crisp calls for 1/2 cup of butter, so you can always add some more. (3)  Optional: Chop 1/2 cup of walnuts.
(4)  Stir until combined.  Put topping evenly over the top of the apples.

3.  Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.


More Desserts with Fruit from this website:

Sensational Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake   (From the back of Costco's organic sugar)
Terrific Gluten Free Strawberry & Peach Trifle  (Modified from an Internet search)
My Favorite Gluten Free Strawberry Cheesecake (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Just Like Grandma's (But Only Gluten Free) Berry Cobbler (My husband's grandma's recipe)
Gluten Free Lemony Rhubarb Bars (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Old Fashioned Strawberry Buckle (Made Gluten Free)   (A recipe I picked up from a berry farm)
From New Zealand - Triple Berry Pavlova  (A friend's recipe - Heritage School Cookbook)
A Northeast Classic - Blueberry Grunt  (From a student)

No comments:

Post a Comment