Gluten Free & God Seeking

Monday, July 15, 2019

Make Your Own Home Made Remedies - What Can You Do With the Feverfew in Your Garden?

    For 12 years I lived next to a horticulturist who owned a flower shop in downtown Seattle. Whenever we were both in the yard, she would notice things in my flower beds and give me advice like putting soapy water in a spray bottle would kill all aphids on my lupines without having to use a pesticide.  I've used that one over and over on all kinds of plants.She also told me that if I would prune my roses, they would keep blooming. I've done that with my floribundas and sometimes I'll get three blooms! 

 Over time she transformed both her front and backyards into two different kinds of gardens--all I remember is that one of them was an English garden, ahhh it was so beautiful! This dear neighbor died from cancer, but before her death she asked me to take whatever plants I wanted in memory of her.  I chose many and feverfew was one of them. 

I found out years later that this beautiful herb which looks much like a dwarf daisy is full of medicinal properties.  So like I did with the peppermint and lemon balm that I had also dug up from her garden that day, I researched it. 

Here's what I found out:

1.  It's an energizing herb and  helps our body deal with inflammation.

2.  For the respiratory system - It helps with fever hence the name!  I also helps treat asthma, wheezing coughs, and sinusitis.

3.  For the stomach - It aids in digestion and alleviates stomach aches.

4.  For the circulatory system - It reduces blood pressure.

5.  For muscles & joints - It helps with muscle spasms, neuralgia, rheumatism, arthritis, and sciatica.  I found out that it contains allicin what aspirin is made of so it's great for all kinds of aches and pains. 

6.  Headaches - Feverfew is commonly used for headaches and migraines.  It can also be used to treat vertigo. 

How to Dry Feverfew: 

(1)  You can simply cut the feverfew and put it in a vase without water and let it dry naturally.  It's good to let it sit out for about 2 weeks to ensure that there's no moisture left in the herb. 

(2)  Then just use your fingers to remove both the flowers and the leaves into a large bowl.

(3)  Put in a glass jar and label.

Brewing Up a Cup of Medicinal Tea:   Put 1-2 teaspoons of your dried tea into a metal tea holder or use a French press and place it into the hot water.  Put a plate over the top to keep the essential oils from evaporating, and let it steep for about 10 minutes.  

Other Blogs on Making Herbal or Flower Teas:
How to Dry Herbs to Make Your Own Herbal Teas
How to Brew  a Cup of Medicinal Herb Tea
How to Make Your Own Lavender Oil & Tea
How To Dry Roses & Make Your Own Rose Tea, Rose Oil & Rose Water
How to Make Calendula Tea, Calendula Oil & Salve
More on How to Make Your Own Herbal Teas & Peppermint Oil
How To Make Your Own Strawberry Leaf Tea
Did You Know That Salad Burnet Can be Made into Tea?

About Making Your Own Spices:
 How to Dry Herbs to Spice Up Your Cooking

Other Things You Can Do with Herbs:
 How To Dry Roses & Make Your Own Rose Tea, Rose Oil & Rose Water
How to Make Calendula Tea, Calendula Oil & Salve
More on How to Make Your Own Herbal Teas & Peppermint Oil
Grandma's Recipe for Dandelion Honey

Note:  I grow and dry herbs as a gardening project.  Be sure to check with a medical professional if you are pregnant, on medication or have any questions or concerns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment