Gluten Free & God Seeking

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

How To Make Your Own Lavender Massage Oil & Tea

   I’ve enjoyed the fragrance of lavender for years, but it wasn’t until about 3 years ago that I started to make my own infused oil.  My neighbor grows bushes of organic lavender and asked me if I wanted some. 

My neighbor's lavender bushes.
 I dried a lot of it, but then I thought why not try to make my own massage oil?  Last year I found out that the flowers can be used as a tea, so I added lavender to a blend of peppermint, lemon balm, feverfew, and calendula.  

Lavender’s Medicinal Properties
     Lavender Enchantment  gave a great list of lavender’s properties: “Lavender has been used for centuries as an herbal remedy. ...  It was used for everything from a nerve stimulant and restorative, to relief of muscular aches and pains and sprains, to inducing peaceful slumber, to easing  the ache of rheumatism and nervous headache to promoting the appetite, to relieving flatulence. ...  It is the flowers of fresh or dried, that contain the medicinal properties of lavender."  
How to Make  Lavender Tea



  First, it is important to dry lavender for 7-10 days.  They can be placed on paper or hung in bunches suspended from a line like what I did this summer.

  Steep 1-2 teaspoons of lavender in a covered mug of hot water for 10 minutes! The websites I've checked say that this tea is taken for:  stress, exhaustion, headaches, upset stomach, colds, and insomnia. The above sites have other things listed that you can check out.  

 Lavender Infused Massage Oil

I've checked a lot of sites and this amazing flower is good for a lot of things besides reducing stress and strain:  
use lavender oil for a massage for soothing and calming the nerves, reducing stress, relieving muscle tension, stimulating circulation,  and promoting sleep.  A site also said it works as an anti-fungal and antiseptic.
Lavender air freshener, infused oil, sachet, and potpourri


1.  Put lavender that's dried for about 2 days into a glass jar.
2.  Fill with extra virgin olive oil. Make sure all the lavender is covered!
3.  Put on a window sill for a month and try to shake it every day or two.
4. Strain and put in blue/amber jars.

 I have made lavender infused oil twice, and it is very aromatic and great for muscle pains.  I have used this oil for helping relieve back pain from my sons' athletic injuries.  Both of my sons told me that it helped them, but on the other hand, maybe it's the free massage that they wanted!  
You can also use this massage oil on your chest when you have a cold as its said to help relieve congestion. 


  Other Blogs on Making Herbal or Flower Teas:
How to Dry Herbs to Make Your Own Herbal Teas
How to Brew  a Cup of Medicinal Herb Tea
How to Make Your Own Lavender Oil & Tea
How To Dry Roses & Make Your Own Rose Tea, Rose Oil & Rose Water
How to Make Calendula Tea, Calendula Oil & Salve
More on How to Make Your Own Herbal Teas & Peppermint Oil
How To Make Your Own Strawberry Leaf Tea
Did You Know That Salad Burnet Can be Made into Tea?
Make Your Own Home Made Remedies - What Can You Do With the Feverfew in Your Garden?

About Making Your Own Spices:
 How to Dry Herbs to Spice Up Your Cooking

Other Things You Can Do with Herbs:
 How To Dry Roses & Make Your Own Rose Tea, Rose Oil & Rose Water
How to Make Calendula Tea, Calendula Oil & Salve
More on How to Make Your Own Herbal Teas & Peppermint Oil
Grandma's Recipe for Dandelion Honey


Note:  I grow and dry herbs as a gardening project.  Be sure to check with a medical professional if you are pregnant, on medication or have any questions or concerns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment