Gluten Free & God Seeking

Monday, October 21, 2019

Something Else to Make Out of Apples! Grandma Verbula's Apple Walnut Cobbler

After my grandmother passed away, my aunt let me go through her recipe box.  How I wish I could have sat down with her and asked her how to make some of my favorites.  This recipe was one that she clipped out of a Pennsylvania newspaper. 

Even with all of my modifications, this apple cobbler was so yummy especially with some ice cream.  It reminded me of an upside down apple pie.  Hopefully this recipe will prove that cobblers aren't just for blackberries!

 1.  Prepare apples: 
(1)  Wash, core, peel (if you like; I left mine on because they were organic apples), and slice up 5 cups of apples.
(2)  Stir in 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, (I used about 1/3), and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon.
(3)  Put apples in a 9 x 13 pan.

2.  Combine dry ingredients - In a medium-sized bowl put:
1 cup of gluten free flour and 3/4 cup of brown sugar (Again, I used about 1/2 cup).

3.  Mix together liquid ingredients:
(1)  Melt 1/2 cup of butter and let cool slightly
(2)  In a medium-sized bowl beat 1 egg and then stir in 1/2 cup of evaporated milk.  I'm on a reduced dairy diet, so I used almond milk, and it came out fine.

4.  Combine milk mixture with the dry ingredients:  
(1)  Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and beat until smooth.
(2)  Spoon cobbler over the apples.

5.  Bake at 325 for 45-50 minutes.  Check and make sure apples are cooked through.

Desserts with Fruit:

Sensational Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake   (From the back of Costco's organic sugar)
Terrific Gluten Free Strawberry & Peach Trifle  (Modified from an Internet search)
My Favorite Gluten Free Strawberry Cheesecake (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Just Like Grandma's (But Only Gluten Free) Berry Cobbler (My husband's grandma's recipe)
Gluten Free Lemony Rhubarb Bars (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Old Fashioned Strawberry Buckle (Made Gluten Free)   (A recipe I picked up from a berry farm)
From New Zealand - Triple Berry Pavlova  (A friend's recipe - My Heritage School Cookbook)
A Northeast Classic - Blueberry Grunt  (From a student)

No comments:

Post a Comment