Gluten Free & God Seeking

Monday, September 26, 2011

Fall Quarter Bible Study - Sharing the Gospel with the Tract The Mystery of Human Life

     At our first dinner with college students a student got saved through reading together The Mystery of Human Life!  I started off the quarter by making some  green curry, another favorite Thai recipe that I will share in my next blog!   Only three of us made it from the community, and there were six college students.  One of the students brought a friend that we had met for the first time on Monday. After dinner my husband asked her if she was a believer.  She said no, but she was curious.  

    I told her I knew exactly what to get—I came back with a stack of booklets called The Mystery of Human Life.  My husband Mike and I first used this booklet to share the Lord with people in the late ‘80s.  We have used it several times in sharing the gospel with people.  It is so clear in its presentation, and the supporting verses just open people’s hearts to the truth in God’s word concerning salvation.

When we had finished reading, Mike told her some of his own realizations when he was a senior in high school.  He had 3 questions
                Why am I alive?
                What is the meaning of my life? 
                Why do I feel so empty? 
  • Illustration #1 - Man is like a cup:  My teacup was sitting on the table, and he used that to further illustrate the verses in Romans 9:23-24 we had read that say that man is a vessel.  He told her just like this cup is a vessel, so are we.  We try this and that to satisfy us. I interjected maybe you try skydiving because scuba diving didn’t satisfy you. 
  • Illustration #2 - Man is like a glove: Then he asked me to get a glove.  This is a classic illustration, which is also given in this booklet.  He lifted up the limp glove and told her if it doesn’t contain the hand, this glove is meaningless; it hasn’t fulfilled its purpose.  Then he put the glove on his hand, and said when you open your heart to the Lord, He comes inside of you. I just love watching this illustration!  It’s such a powerful, yet simple picture of what God desires.  God made us so that He can enter into our human spirit and fill it with His life!
When Mike told her that a Christian is simply a person who has God's life in them, her friend who had been saved earlier this year, remarked, "Very simple."  And we all agreed that it is simple for people to receive the Lord. God undoubtedly had wonderfully prepared her heart because she told us that she wanted to pray.  We went through the prayer again, and we were all so happy for her. Afterwards I felt full of awe at what God had done. 

2 comments:

  1. Praise our Awesome God! He loves all men to come to Himself!

    ReplyDelete