Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Best Things in Life are Free! -BIble for America Distribution at WWU

     How many times have you heard the best things in life are free?  Usually people first think of things like air, water, and nature.  I heard that this is the reason Bibles for America distributes their study Bibles for free.  

On Monday seven community volunteers for Bibles for America worked at our university’s Info Fair which is part of fall orientation.  First we came together to pray--asking for open hearts and no rain.   Here is a picture of what the Info Fair looked like on Tuesday, September 20. 
     My first responsibility was to man the table and talk to students about the Bible they were getting.  Many of them asked me about why it's called the Recovery Version of the New Testament.  I told them that during the Dark Ages the Bible was locked up and that beginning with Martin Luther who saw that justification was by faith, the truths in the Bible began to be recovered, and that’s why it’s called that.  The footnotes crystallize the truth that all the great men and women of God have seen since then.  I tell some of them that I’ve had mine for over 20 years, and it’s my favorite because of the footnotes.  

      After about 45 minutes, we switched jobs.  I have realized over the years that when you stand in a square with thousands of students walking by you, and ask if they want a free study Bible, you have to have skin like an alligator.  You can’t care if they say no.  I normally just smile and say okay and wait until someone else walks close to the table.  

        I like to show students the outline that ran through each book, and tell them that there were over 9,000 footnotes, and over 13,000 cross references.  Sometimes I show students that some of the footnotes are really long! 

    Some of the students I spoke with also had some great study Bibles, and then I encouraged them to get this one and compare it with what they had.  Most of them thought that was a good idea. I hope you'll take advantage of their free New Testament study Bible offer!

List of Posts on Handing out Bibles & Gospel Tracts
 
Why Do I Volunteer For Bibles for America?
Adventures in Handing out Gospel Tracts - Part 1 of 1

Adventures in Handing out Gospel Tracts - Part 2 of 2
Volunteering for Bibles for America - Part 2 of 2
Volunteering for Bibles for America - Part 1 of 2
My 2013 Bibles For America Volunteer Experience - Handing Out Tracts
The Best Things in Life are Free!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment