Gluten Free & God Seeking

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Why Do I Volunteer for Bibles for America?

            For about ten years my husband and I have helped distribute these free Recovery Versions of the New Testament at our university’s two-day Info Fair that occurs right before fall quarter begins. I also worked from 2007-2010 at the Christian Students Association weekly club table where we always had tracts, club fliers, and a stack of free Bibles to hand out. It was always fun to  talk with students about the Bible, and since I had a dinner at my house each week, I could invite some of them over.               
           Sometimes students ask me what’s so different about this version, and I tell them of all the versions I own, this one is my favorite because of the footnotes.  Then I open up a Bible and show them:
  • How there is an outline in front of each book of the New Testament and how that outline follows through the text.  That impresses a lot of them! 
  • Then I tell them that this Bible has over 9,000 footnotes, many of them quite extensive. Then I point out to them that the footnotes give Greek meanings and they contain the spiritual light that has been passed down from Martin Luther to the present. 
  • The Recovery Version also has over 13,000 cross-references. 
   Bibles for America is not just about Bibles. It's about reaching the people in this country who need God's word.  A Bibles for America motor home went to New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina had devastated the lives of thousands of Americans. They also traveled to Virginia when a campus there was shaken by  sudden tragedy, and I heard this week that one of their vans was on its way to New York City to commemorate 9/11. That was in our hearts as a group of us gathered together to pray on Tuesday night, and it’s been in my heart as I’ve prayed with other believers this week. 

     Bibles for America  believes that everything that is good in this world should be free—we don’t buy the air that we breathe, we don’t pay for the sunshine that energizes us, nor do we pay for the gorgeous scenery that God has so freely filled the earth with.  In the same way, God’s word should also be freely available to His seekers!  It So as you can see, it is no ordinary Bible that they distribute!! 
         
             This year our university’s Info Fair is September 19 and 20.  Many of us are planning to help out at the Bibles for America table that we reserved.  We would appreciate your prayer for this time!  I will let you know how it goes!   And if you would like a free New Testament study Bible, click on the Bibles for America link above. 

4 comments:

  1. I know of no other bible translation whose footnotes present a clear blueprint of enjoying and living Christ for the building up of the Church which is His living body! I recommend it to all lovers and seekers of Jesus Christ. Tom M Bellingham,WA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last week I was watching a documentary about 9/11 and my heart went out to those people. I am so grateful for Bibles for America who provided so many free bibles to be distributed throughout NYC to commemorate 9/11.
    It is the unique book countless people have turned to for comfort, hope and guidance during times of trouble and uncertainty. One of the presidents of the USA, Abraham Lincoln said, "The bible is the best gift God has ever given to man. All the good from the Savior of the world is communicated to us through this book."
    The Recovery Version is the best study bible I have ever had. The footnotes and the cross references are such a help. They give understanding in such an enlightening way.

    The bible is no ordinary book, as a matter of fact, the word bible comes form the Greek word Biblos which means "the book".

    See you at the Info Fair.
    -Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to come across this website. It just confirms what God has placed on my heart, despite what others have to say. May God continue to bless your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have already ordered your Bible. I've been reading this translation when it was first published in 1985. You would really benefit by reading the preface to this translation as it clarifies that it is called the Recovery Version because it recovers the truths that have been handed down for centuries but were lost through the dark ages. If you go on their website--www.biblesforamerica.org you can contact them if you have any questions. Or you can always drop me another comment, and I'll get back to you. May the Lord bless you, and thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

      Delete