Gluten Free & God Seeking

Friday, September 16, 2011

What Lesson Did Peter Learn on the Mount of Transfiguration in Matthew 17:1-13?

      Did you hear the Lord speak to you today?  After reading Chapter 49 of the Life-Study of Matthew on the Lord’s transfiguration, the words that have been echoing in my heart are “hear Him.”     When I read this last week, I was in the middle of preparing to leave town for the weekend to attend my granddaughter’s three-year-old birthday and having student boarders move in and out. I knew I wasn’t really focusing in my morning time with the Lord. I was reading the Bible and praying, but I hadn’t really heard the Lord. Have you ever done that?  I was in autopilot, and I'm sure if you're honest you've been there before, too.

      This morning I looked up this verse again: Matthew 17:5  While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and behold, a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is My Son, the Beloved, in whom I delight, Hear Him!  So this made me think of Mary sitting at the Lord’s feet, and if you don’t take time to sit at His feet then how do you know what God’s desire really is?  

    And then when I read the next chapter on how Peter got stumped by the temple tax, I saw for the first time the connection between these two sections of the word.  In chapter 50  Witness Lee brought it together on pages 497-598 like this:  
"He also says that it’s one thing to get the revelation of who Christ is (Matthew 16:16) and another thing to apply it...If he had still remembered what had taken place on the mountain, he would have referred the question to Christ to hear what He would say.  But instead of listening to Christ, he gave his own answer” (Lee, Witness. Life-Study of Matthew. Anaheim: Living Stream Ministry, 1977, Print).

      And in the account of paying the temple tax in Matthew 17:24-27, Peter failed; and as brother Lee relates Peter forgot a lot of stuff like  the revelation, the vision, and God’s own speaking to him!  That encouraged me because often I'm like Peter.  But the Lord is kind and patient and gave Peter an errand to go fish for the coin to pay the tax for both of them.  Don't you think Peter probably listened a little more carefully the next time the Lord spoke?  I know I would!  Lord, help me to hear You!!



Other blogs on the Life Study of Matthew:

You can listen to excerpts from the Life Study of Matthew along with excellent commentary by tuning into the Life Study of the Bible with Witness Lee.    

Do You Skip the Genealogy in Matthew?
What is the Focus of the Gospel of Matthew?
What is the Sermon on the Mount Really About? (Part 1)
What is the Sermon on the Mount Really About?  (Part 2)
Why is the Crucial Significance of Lord's Prayer in Matthew 6:9-13?
How Does Jesus Calm the Stormy Sea in Matthew 8:23-27?
How Does the Great Physician Heal our Hearts in Matthew 9:12?
Have You Seen the Battle Between the Two Kingdoms in Matthew 12:26-28?
What is the Connection Between the Kingdom & the Parable of the Sower in Matthew 13:3-23?
What is the Significance of the Parables on the Treasure & the Pearl of Great Value in Matthew 13:44-46?
What is Walking By Faith All About in Matthew 14:22-33?
What Lesson Did Peter Learn on the Mount of Transfiguration in Matthew 17:1-13?
How Does Matthew 18 and 19 Relate to the Kingdom?
What Does Peter's Denial of the Lord Teach us in Matthew 26:69-75?

No comments:

Post a Comment