Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What is Walking By Faith All About in Matthew 14:22-33?

     In the bedroom I shared with my sister growing up was a picture of Peter walking on the water toward the Lord. I'm pretty sure my grandmother had given us that picture, and  I remember asking  her when she came for a visit when I was about 5 or 6 years old how he he could do that. I don't remember her answer exactly, but I 'm sure it was something like God helped him do it.

    And as I was reading this account in Chapter 44 of the Life-Study of Matthew  yesterday, I thought about that picture, and how for years I just thought that this is just a story about a miracle.  

      Actually  this chapter showed me that this stormy sea is really a window into our life of faith,  a life that walks through a stormy situation anchored to the word of God.  I really liked this sentence on page 525: "Faith is our action upon the word of the Lord"   (Lee, Witness. Life-Study of Matthew. Anaheim: Living Stream Ministry, 1977, Print).

     This chapter says that when Peter started looking around at the height of the waves and the howling winds, he became afraid, and he started to sink.  That's a clear visual of what happens to me when we let the size of my circumstances take over. 

   He connected this to 2 Corinthians 5:7  For we walk by faith, not by appearance.  We obey God's word by faith  because we believe in who He is as God and because we believe His heart towards us is always good.  Almost ten years ago I started writing up verses related to faith in God's word from my Bible reading. I am still adding to it.  When I feel like I'm starting to sink, I just read some of those promises to strengthen my faith.  Here are a few of these precious promises:

         Psalm 37:28  For the Lord delights in justice and forsakes not His saints, they are
         preserved forever, ....
 Isaiah 42:2,  When you pass through the water, I will be with you, and through the rivers, they will not flow over you. 
Lamentations 3: 3:21-23  This I recall to my heart, therefore I have hope.  It is Jehovah's lovingkindess that we are not consumed, for His compassions do not fail.  They are new every morning.  Great is Your faithfulness. 
Zechariah 2:5 For I saith Jehovah, will be unto her a wall of fire round about.
Other blogs on the Life Study of Matthew:

You can listen to excerpts from the Life Study of Matthew along with excellent commentary by tuning into the Life Study of the Bible with Witness Lee.    

Do You Skip the Genealogy in Matthew?
What is the Focus of the Gospel of Matthew?
What is the Sermon on the Mount Really About? (Part 1)
What is the Sermon on the Mount Really About?  (Part 2)
Why is the Crucial Significance of Lord's Prayer in Matthew 6:9-13?
How Does Jesus Calm the Stormy Sea in Matthew 8:23-27?
How Does the Great Physician Heal our Hearts in Matthew 9:12?
Have You Seen the Battle Between the Two Kingdoms in Matthew 12:26-28?
What is the Connection Between the Kingdom & the Parable of the Sower in Matthew 13:3-23?
What is the Significance of the Parables on the Treasure & the Pearl of Great Value in Matthew 13:44-46?
What is Walking By Faith All About in Matthew 14:22-33?
What Lesson Did Peter Learn on the Mount of Transfiguration in Matthew 17:1-13?
How Does Matthew 18 and 19 Relate to the Kingdom?
What Does Peter's Denial of the Lord Teach us in Matthew 26:69-75?


2 comments:

  1. Wow. These verses are wonderful!! Thank you so much for posting them! So looking forward to reading more of your blog, Jackie!! I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow- I'm going to ask him to do the test for Celiac's disease-- to rule that out. I've been doing a gluten-free diet for the past two weeks and I feel so much better!!
    love
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther, I hope that your test gives you some kind of direction. Keep me posted! Someone told me who did not have Celiac disease that they just felt better without wheat. Listen to your body, too!! Let me know what happens! Jackie

    ReplyDelete