Gluten Free & God Seeking

Monday, November 7, 2011

Gluten Free Chinese - Spicy Kung Pao Chicken Stir Fry

    While my son Jeremy likes to order Thai food with 10 stars, I order it with 1 star. So when one of our students from Hunan Province asked me to make him some kung pao chicken, I was a bit skeptical if I would even be able to eat it because he told me it is a very hot and spicy dish. 

  The first time I made this recipe, it wasn't spicy enough for him, and so after tweaking the sauce with him, you have the recipe below.  This recipe is a combination of two recipes most of it from the Kung Pao recipe posted on www.glutenfreemommy.com My compromise with our student  is I put Sriracha or red pepper flakes on the table so he can add more heat.

Gluten Free Spicy Kung Pao Chicken Stir Fry – Serves 6

1.  Prepare & marinate the chicken:  Rinse and cut 1 pound of chicken breasts into 1” pieces.  Mix 2 T tamari with 1 t of cornstarch and marinate chicken in frig.  (They say the cornstarch helps the tamari penetrate the chicken.)

2.  Prepare the veggies
(1)  Cut up 1 green or red pepper into thin slices, (2)  Slice 6 green onions into 1” pieces
(2)  Mince 1 clove of garlic
(3)  Slice 3 stalks of celery and 1 carrot on the diagonal,
(4) Optional:  1/2 cup of shitake mushrooms.


3. Prepare the stir-fry sauce: In  a separate bowl combine 1/4 cup rice mirin/sherry, 1/4  cup tamari,  1/4 cup water,  2 T sugar, 2 T cornstarch, 1/2 t black pepper, 2 t white vinegar, 1 t sesame oil, 3 t chili sauce (Sriracha), and 1 t red pepper flakes.

                                       

4.  Stir-frying the chicken:
(1)   In a wok or large skillet, heat 2 T coconut oil over med-high heat.
(2)   Add  3-5 red chili pepper pods and stir fry them for 1 minute then remove them.  Set them aside to stir back in at the end. 
(3)  Then add the chicken strips and cook them for 5-6 minutes or until done.  Put in a covered dish.

5. Stir-fry veggies & combine with chicken:
(1)   Put 2 more T of coconut oil into the pan and add the garlic and other veggies and stir-fry for 4 minutes or until crisp-tender (I usually set the timer for this).
(2)   Then stir in the chicken and the stir-fry sauce and stir frequently until thickened slightly or until heated through and bubbly. 
(3)  Stir in ½ -1 cup of peanuts and some of  the hot pepper pods.

4 comments:

  1. The chicken is tender, and the sauce is absolutely favorable. ~Yingying

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the kung pao that Jackie made. It tastes really good although it's more American style. ~Shing

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has been a comment many Asian students have told me about the way Americans make Chinese or other Asian dishes. I've never had an authentic kung pao, so I don't know how we've altered it. Often I compare two or three recipes and combine them. I do agree with you that this is a great rendition of a Chinese classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the chicken meat; it tastes so great. I love it. ~Ziyang

    ReplyDelete