Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Paradise Ahi Tuna Teriyaki Bowls

   The first time I had ahi was in Maui at my in-laws 50th anniversary dinner.  So good.  Now and then I'll buy it and reminisce.  A few weeks ago I bought a package of wild caught ahi already cubed. I've been trying bowls lately.  And so I thought I'd be adventuresome and make an ahi bowl. 

    I have a great recipe in my church cookbook for ahi teriyaki marinade that comes from a Japanese believer and it's amazing! In fact you can see it below in the pan grilled Tuna steak recipe from a Japanese believer.  Then in my Heritage school cookbook is my favorite teriyaki sauce recipe. which I made a few modifications from Veggies Save the Day.  When I took the first bite, it was definitely that flavor explosion I was hoping for!  Needless to say, I savored every  bite! 

A few weeks ago  a friend gave us some wild caught ahi that his neighbor had caught in September. I decided to make ahi bowls again for a lunch with my son's future in-laws.  They were a total hit, of course! 

With all Asian cooking, it's important to chop veggies ahead and get the teriyaki sauce made up before you start the stir-frying!
 
 
.
Ahi Tuna Teriyaki Bowls - for 4



1.  Marinate 10-12 oz. ahi
(1)  Cut 10-12 oz. of  ahi in 1" cubes.
(2)  Put in a marinade made from:   2 T tamari, 2 T rice mirin, 2 T lime/lemon juice, 1 tsp. minced ginger, 1 tsp. brown sugar, 1 clove of minced garlic, and 1/4 tsp. Sriracha.
(3)  Let marinate from 30 minutes to 2 hours.

2.  Prepare vegetables:
(1)  Cut an onion in half and then slice it across the dome.
(2)  Slice 1 large carrot on the diagonal.
(3)  Slice half of a zucchini in half and then again on the diagonal.
(4)  Slice half of  a yellow crook neck squash in half and then on the diagonal.
(5)  Slice 1/2 of a red bell pepper.
(6)  Add 1 cup of pineapple chunks

3.  Prepare teriyaki sauce:  In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup tamari, 2 T rice vinegar (My Heritage book had 1/4 cup) , 1/4+ cup sugar (Heritage had 2 T sugar), 1 T minced ginger (Heritage had 1 tsp ,  1/2 of a clove of minced garlic, and 1 tsp. of tapioca starch. 

4.  Stir-fry ahi and vegetables:
(1)  Put 2 T of oil into a wok or stainless skillet and warm up; stir-fry ahi until done, just a few minutes.  Remove and put in a covered bowl.
(2)  Wipe pan and add 2 more T of oil and add onions and carrot.  Stir-fry for 2 minutes. 
(3)  Then add the bell pepper and squash and stir-fry for 1 minute.
(4)  Add 1/4 cup of water and cover for 2 minutes.
(5)  Add back the ahi and stir  the teriyaki sauce and add to the pan and let cook for 1-2 minutes until the sauce thickens.

5.  Serve over rice.

List of Other Fish Recipes on this Blog:

 
American Favorites:
Our Best Gluten Free Recipes for Grilling Salmon  - (Family & church cookbook recipes)
Crispy Gluten Free Oven Fried Fish Sticks   (From the box of Albers Cornmeal)
Marilyn's Alaskan King Crab Legs  (My mother-in-law) 

Pasta Dishes with Fish:
Whidbey Island Crab & Noodle Bake  - From my mother-in-law's beach friend
Gluten Free Comfort Food - Downright Delicious Tuna Noodle Casserole - (my Heritage School Cookbook)
Easy To Make Gluten Free Shrimp Linguine - (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Fantastic Gluten Free Salmon Fettucine - (A modification of a few Internet recipes)

Chowders & Soups:
Almost Like Ivar's Clam Chowder - (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
 Northwest Salmon Chowder  - (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
A Vietnamese Cooking Lesson - Lien's Vietnamese Sweet & Sour Soup with Salmon - (An aunt of one of our  international students)

Salads:
Jackson Square Fish Salad - (From my Syre School Cookbook)
A Northwest Salad Favorite - Cobb Salad with Blackened Salmon & Shrimp - (my own take)

Asian:
Salmon & Vegetable Curry    (Modified from Internet search)
Make Your Own Sushi!    (A Korean church friend taught me how to make this)Tasty Gluten Free Sweet & Sour Fish   (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Pan Grilled Teriyaki Tuna Steaks  (From my Come & Dine Cookbook)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment