Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Northwest Fish Chowder


    As far as food goes, Ivar's probably helped put Seattle on the map.  I remember when I lived there how much I enjoyed going to Ivar's on Lake Union or at the Mukilteo Ferry and getting a bowl of clam chowder with some fish and chips. 

    Besides making clam chowders, I've also enjoyed making fish chowder with salmon.  This recipe comes from my Heritage School Cookbook, a school I worked at for 3 1/2 years teaching business classes.  They suggest using flounder, but I like salmon better.


    Also with most chowders you can add a lot of your own touches. To this recipe I added the celery,carrot and parsley. If you like to make your chowder a little thicker, one of my cookbooks says you can add about 1/4 cup of flour to it.  

Northwest Salmon Chowder - Serves 4-6

1.  Prepare vegetables:
(1)  Dice 3 large potatoes (I used 5-6 red potatoes).
(2)  Dice 1 large onion.
(3)  Dice 2 stalks of celery (something I added).
(4)  Dice 1 carrot (Something I added for color).
(5)  Chop 2 T of parsley.

2.  Prepare chowder:
(1)  In the bottom of the soup pot put in half a stick of butter or you can use 3 T of olive oil or coconut oil and sauté the onions for 3-4 minutes or until translucent.
(2)  Add the potatoes and 4 cups of water. (I added one more cup)
(3)  Stir in the seasonings:  3 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. black pepper, and 2 tsp. Spike or Costco's No Salt Seasoning. (The recipe suggested using basil, but I wanted a more all around seasoning.)
(4)  Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
(5)  Then add 1 small can of salmon (I think it's 7 1/2 oz from Trader Joes) and parsley.
(6)  Stir in 1 can of evaporated milk; I often just use milk and it comes out good..
(7)  Cook until thoroughly heated--don't let it boil. 
(8)  Taste and add any more seasonings.

Make some muffins and a salad, and you've got a great fall or winter supper. 

List of My Favorite Soups, Chili & Stew Recipes

Beef 
Grandma's Favorite Beef Stew  (My mother-in-law's delicious recipe!)
Just Like Home Ukrainian Borscht   (A Polish student  said this tasted like his mom's!)

Poultry
This is the Best Gluten Free Minestrone Soup!   (A recipe my son modified)
Mouth Watering Italian Turkey Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)
Mexican Fiesta Chicken Soup   (A recipe I got years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
My Thanksgiving Turkey Soup  (My very own special concoction!)
Gary's Incredible Gluten Free Arkansas Gumbo  (Given to me by a Bible study friend from Arkansas)
Jeannie's French Market Soup  (A friend from when my kids were little)
Southwest Turkey Soup  (From my Syre School cookbook)

Fish
Northwest Salmon Chowder  (From my Heritage School cookbook)
Almost Like Ivar's Clam Chowder (From my Come & Dine Cookbook)

Bean & Legumes
Vi's Best Chili  (A  Bible study friend's great recipe)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (One of my daughter's friends special soup)
Country-Style Lentil Soup   (From my Heritage School cookbook)
Kathy's Texas Chili & Chips (From my Come & Dine cookbook)

Vegetable
Creamy Pumpkin Soup  (from Food Network)
My Favorite Gluten Free Pumpkin Curry Soup  (Combo from Food & All Recipes)
Downright Delicious Potato & Kale Soup  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)
A Great Fall Soup - Make it From Scratch Corn Potato Chowder  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)

Asian
Chinese Chicken Soups  - Bok choy chicken, chicken & spinach, and chicken & cabbage (Modified from Internet search by our Chinese students)
Make Your Own Gluten Free Chicken Pho!  (Modified from a newspaper article)
Gluten Free Chinese Hot Pot  (Modified by a Chinese student)
Chinese Egg Drop Soup  &  Chinese Egg & Tomato Soup  (Modified  from a student's recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment