Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, October 27, 2011

What is the Purpose of Mark's Gospel?


I took this picture in the Sonoran Desert in Arizona
 When I was in college, I heard Witness Lee share that there are 4 gospels because each showed a different aspect of the Lord's life--
Matthew shows us that He is the heavenly King, 
Mark shows us that He is the Servant of God, 
Luke that He is both God and Man to be our Savior, 
and John that Jesus is the very God incarnated.  

    In the first few messages of the Life Study of Mark Witness Lee gives a background of the book, and he shows through verses in Isaiah 42:1 that Mark’s gospel does show us that the Lord came as the Servant of Jehovah:   Here is My Servant, whom I uphold, My chosen One in whom My soul delights; I have put My Spirit upon Him, and He will bring forth justice to the nations 

Of course, this verse reminded me right away of the scene at the Lord’s baptism (Mark 1:9-11) when God spoke these very words from the heavens. He also mentions that because Mark portrays the Lord as a servant, you don’t find a genealogy in this book. Because of that Mark shows  more of the Lord’s actions than His speaking like in Matthew's gospel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment