Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Getting Spiritual Food From God's Word

     What does Matthew 4:4 mean it says that Man shall not live on bread alone?  What are we supposed to eat besides food?  Is the Lord implying here that we can eat His word?  How do we do that?  I didn't come up with this myself, we read this in the Assurance of Salvation which is a chapter in the Basic Elements series.  Besides confessing our sins, praying for others, and meeting with other believers, taking in the word of God as spiritual food is a way to maintain the joy of our salvation.  

     In the Old Testament there are many verses that show that God's people treated His word like their food.  They considered it every day, prayed with it,  and they loved it.  This verse in Jeremiah has always been one of my favorites: 

Jeremiah 15:16  Your words were found and I ate them, and Your word became to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart.  

And Here's one from David in the Psalms: 
Psalm 119:15  I will muse upon Your precepts ....

 Probably the Lord was the most radical of all in John 6:57, 63 when He said:  He who eats Me, he also shall live because of Me.   ... the words which I have spoken to you are Spirit and lifeNot all the disciples got this word because the Bible says that some of them were stumbled at this and left following Him because they didn't get that the Lord was talking about spiritual food.  Just like the physical food we take in each day nourishes our bodies and gives them strength for the day's activities, the word of God that we take in (or eat) gives us spiritual life and strength!  

Blog Update 7/25/13:   Here's an enjoyable song that got released on the New York City Young People's CD  Into My Heart entitled I am the Living Bread.


Other  College Student Dinner Fellowships on This Blog:













No comments:

Post a Comment