Gluten Free & God Seeking

Sunday, December 30, 2012

What are the Three Laws in Romans 7 & 8 All About?


   Understanding Romans 7 and 8 helped me get what was going on inside of me.  When I was a young mother, I met with a believer who tried to persuade me and some others that believers didn't have a sinful nature anymore.  
 Winter frost on my rose bushes

That conversation really became a turning point for me.  I realized that I didn't really know the truth on this subject, and it forced me to talk to others and get into a concordance.  

     I wish I would have known about chapter 37 of the Life Study of Romans back then.  Witness Lee uses the trees in the garden of Eden in Genesis  to illustrate on page 430 the three laws that are inside every believer. 
In the garden of Eden there were two trees--the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and the tree of life.  In these two trees we see good, evil, and life.  With each of these there is a law: the law of good, the law of evil,  and the law of life.  We are a miniature garden of Eden because the triangular situation involving God, man, and Satan is  now within us.  Furthermore, the law of good,  the law of evil, and the law of life are all in us (Lee, Witness. Life-Study of Romans. Anaheim: Living Stream Ministry, 1975, Print).  
    Growing up as a Catholic I knew there was a devil, but no  one ever told me that Satan was in the flesh of every fallen man, and that's why there was so much evil in the world.  I liked the clear explanation he gave on this:   The first person is in our soul, which is represented  by our mind...The second person, the satanic person, is in our body, that is, in our flesh.  But praise the Lord that the third person, the divine person, is in our spirit!  As we all know, man is three parts: a spirit, a soul, and a body ((Page 431-432) !  

Because Satan's life is stronger than our soul life, this forces us every day to need to turn to our spirit and touch the Lord's life which is strongest of all these three lives.  We see this in the declaration in Romans 8:2: For the law of the Spirit of life has freed me in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and of death (Recovery Version of the New Testament).  

You can listen to live portions of Witness Lee's sharing on the Life Study of Romans with helpful commentary on the Life Study of the Bible with Witness Lee. 

Other Blogs on the Life Studies of Romans:

 Why is Romans Called the Gospel of God?
What's the Connection Between Romans 4 and God's Calling of Abraham?
What is Sanctification in the Book of Romans?
Have You seen the Gospel in Romans 8:3?
Seeing God's Sovereignty in Romans 8:28
What Was Man Created For in Romans 9:21?
What is the Focus of Romans 12?
What Does Romans 14 Say About Receiving Believers & Why Does It Matter?
Have You Seen the Practical Church Life in Romans 16?
What are the Three Laws in Romans 7 & 8 All About?
What Does Being Saved in Life Mean in Romans 5:10?
How Do Carnations Illustrate a Believer's Glorification in Romans 8:30?
Why is God's Righteousness the Power of the Gospel in Romans 1:16-17?
From the Life Study of Roman - Why is God Triune?

No comments:

Post a Comment