Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Best Recipe For Boston Baked Beans

    I grew up liking beans, especially baked beans.  A few years ago I started searching for a recipe for making it from scratch.  This is it. 

   This recipe for Boston Baked Beans comes from All Recipes.  I could tell it was a good one when I saw that it had 4 1/2 stars, but I knew it would work for me when I also read that she had been making these beans for 29 years!!

 I 'm always looking for family favorites. After making this recipe twice this winter,  I've had my own family saying those are good beans!  



BOSTON BAKED BEANS  - for 6-8

1.  Prepare beans:
(1)  Soak 2 cups of navy beans in cold eater overnight.
(2)  In the morning drain the beans (the recipe tells you to cook the beans in the water, but I prefer to start with clean water) and add water to go 1-2" above the beans.
(3)  Cook the beans for 1-2 hours  or until they are  tender.
(4)  Drain the liquid but reserve it for adding to the beans while baking.
(5)  Arrange the beans in a 2 quart pan by  
layering the beans with 1 onion finely diced (you can tell that I just chopped mine) with 1/2 pound of fried up turkey bacon.

2.  Prepare sauce - in a saucepan put:

(1) 1 cup ketchup  or 1 cup of tomato sauce
(2)  1/4 cup molasses, 1/4 cup of brown sugar (when I used ketchup I didn't add this additional sugar--you decide!)
(3)  1-2 t salt (depending on if you use ketchup or not), 1/2 t pepper, 1/4 t mustard, 1-2 T Worcestershire sauce (Do a taste test first--On January 20, 2014 I put it in 1 T and it all tasted great!), and 1/4 t ginger.
(4)  Dice up 1 small onion
(4)  Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes.

3.  Bake the beans:
(1)  Pour the sauce over the beans.
(2)  Add enough of the reserved bean liquid to cover the beans and mix it in.
(3)  Cover the beans with foil.
(4)  Bake for 1 1/2 hours  at 300; then remove the foil and bake for 1 1/2 more hours.  (The recipe says to bake at 325, but I found that was too high for my oven.)
(5)  Add any liquid to the beans while they're cooking so they don't dry out.

List of Vegetarian Recipes on this Blog:

Pasta:
Oh So Good Gluten Free Vegetarian Italian Lasagna
Fantastic Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese
Making Pad Thai With a Thai Student  (Omit the chicken)

Vegetables:

Cheese & Vegetable Enchiladas
Scalloped Potatoes
Amazing Vegetable Panang Curry
Make Your Own Thai Fresh Rolls

Quinoa:
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa
Gluten Free Mexican Quinoa Casserole

Tofu & Rice:

Gluten Free Tofu & Vegetable Stir Fry
Fabulous Gluten Free Fried Rice

Beans & Legumes:
Grandma Pitcher's Family Favorite Baked Beans

3 comments:

  1. Well worth the effort I'd say. I'd hope they are tasty 'cause it makes a lot!  

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like baked beans as much as I do, I know this recipe will make you always want to make your own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got this site from my pal who informed me regarding
    this web site and now this time I am browsing this site and
    reading very informative articles at this
    place.

    ReplyDelete