Gluten Free & God Seeking

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Best Gluten Free Lasagna

    To me a lasagna is only as good as its sauce.  Getting that fine balance of tomato sauce with herbs and other seasonings can actually be kind of tough.  This recipe from my church Come & Dine Cookbook brings it all together.  


   I've been making this recipe for 15 years and it's the best I've tried.  Like most lasagnas you can play with the sauce and add some spinach and other things to make it your own.  Enjoy!

  
GLUTEN FREE LASAGNA


1.  Home made pasta sauce:
(1)  Mince 2 large cloves of garlic.
(2)  Dice up 1/2 yellow onion.
(3)  Cook 1 pound of organic hamburger, garlic, and onion in a skillet.
(4)  Put in the pan two 6 oz cans of tomato paste.
(5)  Put in the pan one 28 oz can of whole tomatoes.
(6)  Add spices:  1 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. black pepper, and 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (something my Italian son-in-law always recommends), 1  T dried basil (I usually use 1 1/2 T),  2 tsp. dried oregano (I usually use 3 t), 1 T  chopped fresh parsley, and 1 T brown sugar.
(7)  Let simmer for 20-30 minutes or longer if time.  Adjust any seasonings.

2.  Prepare gluten free noodles:  Bring water to boil in a pasta pot.  Cook and drain 9 gluten free lasagna noodles according to instructions. 

3.  Prepare cheese:  Grate 16 oz of mozzarella cheese.  I usually grate 3 cups up so it's a bit more cheesy.


4.  Make cheese filling:
(1)  In a large bowl put  16 oz of ricotta cheese or  cottage cheese.
(2)  Stir in the 1/2 cup of Parmesan.
(3)  Add spices:  1 tsp. salt, 2 T of chopped parsley, 1/2 tsp. pepper


5.  Assemble lasagna:
(1)  Spoon some of the sauce onto the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.
(2)  Lay 3+ noodles on top of the sauce
(3)  Spread meat sauce over noodles.
(4) Spread 1/3 of cottage cheese mixture over the top.
(5)   Sprinkle mozzarella over
(6)  Repeat layers 2 times. 

Cover the dish and bake for 30 minutes at 350 and then take off the foil for the last 15 minutes.


 Vegetarian Lasagna - Use Instead of Meat Sauce

1.  Prepare vegetables:
(1)  Dice up 1 yellow onion
(2)  Mince up 1 T garlic
(3)  Slice 1 cup of mushrooms
(4)  Chop up 4 cups of chopped spinach
(5)  Thinly slice or grate 1 zucchini  and
1 yellow squash
(6)  Grate 1-2 large carrots
(7)  Chop up 1 green pepper

2.  Saute vegetables:
(1)  Put 1 t of oil into a skillet and cook the onions for about 3 minutes,.
(2)  Add the  and mushrooms and sauté until tender 1-2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds more.
(3)  Drain any excess liquid. Set aside.  


Other Italian & Greek Pasta Recipes on This Blog:

Italian & Greek Chicken:
Incredible Gluten Free Chicken Souvlaki   (My son-in-law's marinade recipe)
You've Got to Try This Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan!  (From my church cook book, Come & Dine)

Pasta Cassroles:
Oh So Good Vegetarian Lasagna  (From Internet search)
Delicious Gluten Free Chicken Tetrazzini     (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)

 Classic Pastas:
My Mom's Splendiferous Gluten Free Spaghetti  (My mother's amazing sauce!)
Gluten Free Pasta Aioli - Sausage & Vegetable Penne  (From my daughter and son-in-law)
Incredible Gluten Free Pasta Primavera     (Combination of two Internet searches)
Easy to Make Gluten Free Shrimp Linguini   (From my Syre School Cookbook)

Mac & Cheeses
Fantastic Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese  (Modified from Heritage & Internet search)

Pizza
Judi's Gluten Free Crazy Crust Pizza -  Spinach, Artichoke & Feta Pizza (From a friend)

Soups:
This is the Best Minestrone Soup!  (From my son's Internet search and tweaking)
Mouth Watering Italian Turkey Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)

Salads:
Tasty Gluten Free Pasta Salad   (I've been making this salad for over 20 years!)
Jeremy D's Sensational Greek Salad  (From my son-in-law who is half Italian)
Michelle's Greek Quinoa Salad   (My daughter came up with this way to use quinoa)

No comments:

Post a Comment