Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Incredible Gluten Free Chicken Fajitas

 Fajitas have been one of my favorites for a long time.  I remember one time I ordered this dish in a Mexican restaurant and they served the fajitas in a small cast iron pan with some corn tortillas for me to make my own. When I made this recipe I tried to recreate those flavors.


And I found cooking the chicken strips in my cast iron was almost the next best thing to grilling it.  Using different colored peppers really makes this dish pretty.  

So this recipe for fajitas is a mix of a few recipes. The  blend of seasonings in this recipe makes these fajitas taste just like did at that restaurant.   

Incredible Gluten Free Chicken Fajitas  
1.  Prepare vegetables:
(1)  Slice 2 yellow onions into thin slivers.
(2)  Slice 1 green, orange, and red pepper into thin slices.
(3)  In a separate bowl put 2 T of minced garlic.



2.  Prepare chicken:  Rinse and cut 1 1/2 pounds of chicken breasts into strips.

3.  Prepare gluten-free fajita seasoning:  Here's a link for you to make from scratch your own fajita seasoning mix.

4.  Cook chicken & vegetables:
(1)  Put 2-3 T of coconut oil into a large skillet (I like to use a cast iron skillet for this) and cook the chicken on medium-high heat for a few minutes.
(2)  Add the onion and peppers and stir-fry a few more minutes.
(3)  Then sprinkle the seasonings over the meat and vegetables and stir to coat.
(4)  Stir the chicken and vegetables until fully cooked.
(5)  Squeeze the juice of 1 lime over it all and stir together.
(6)  Taste and make any additional spice adjustments--more chili powder? more salt?


5.  Warm tortillas:  Put rice tortillas or corn tortillas into foil and put them in the oven for 10 minutes at 350.

6.  Grate cheese - Put in a small serving bowl.

7.  Assembling the fajitas:
(1)  Spread some sour cream over the bottom of a warm tortilla.
(2)  Spoon the fajita mixture over the sour cream.
(3)  Sprinkle some cheddar cheese.
(4)  Add some salsa.
(5)  Fold over the sides and roll up.

Other Mexican recipes on this blog:

Mexican Casseroles
Texas Style Gluten Free Stacked Enchiladas  (From my Come & Dine cookbook)
Acapulco Delight - A great Mexican Enchilada (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Michelle's Favorite Vegetarian Enchiladas   (From my daughter)
Kathy's Baked Chili & Chips Casserole  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Gluten Free Mexican Quinoa Casserole  (From an Internet search)
Fiesta Gluten Free Tamale Pie   (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Authentic Chicken Enchiladas Verde  (From a church friend)
Rebecca's Favorite Chicken & Chile Enchiladas  (From a church friend)
Delores's Chicken & Tortilla Casserole (Made Gluten Free)  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)

Tacos, Chimichangas  & Etc.
Rachel Ray's Recipe for the Best Fish Tacos   (From Food Network)
Fantastic Baked Chimichangas  (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Authentic Chicken Flautas  (My hispanic friend Abbie taught me how to make these!)
Delicious Chicken Fajitas  (A mix of many recipes)
Fabulous Vegetarian Gluten Free Fajitas   (From an Internet search)
Easy Gluten Free Baked Taquitos  (From a newspaper clip)

Beans & Rice
The Best Homemade Refried Beans  (From an Internet search)
Texas Pinto Beans & Rice  (From my Texas airport cookbook)

Mexican Chicken & Beef
Anna's Pollo Guisado (Mexican Braised Chicken)  (From a church friend in Phoenix)
Fantastic Gluten Free Carne Asada!  (From an Internet search--a combination of sites)
Belizean Chicken, Black Beans & Rice, and Belizean Coleslaw  (From my daughter's family)

Soups
Mexican Chicken Soup- A Great Remedy for Colds & Flu  (I got this over 25 years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (From a friend in Califiornia)
Southwest Turkey Soup   (From my Syre School Cookbook)

Salads
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa  (My own version of something I ate in Seattle)
Mexican Salmon & Mango Salad  (Modification of a Betty Crocker recipe)

2 comments:

  1. This is a real yummy chicken fajita!
    I enjoyed every bite of her meal. Thank you :)
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment on the gluten free chicken fajitas, Emma! When I cook, I sometimes set out all the different recipes I've collected and compare them and then come up with one that uses the best of them all.

    ReplyDelete