Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Jeannie's French Market Soup


   Soups are a mainstay during these cold winter days.  In these past weeks it's  freezing here.  And every week I've  enjoyed making a different kind of soup.  


    This week I tried a recipe a friend of mine gave me over 20 years ago.  French Market Soup is a unique combination of chicken, sausage, beans, and vegetables that tastes absolutely yummy!   What I like about this recipe is you can add a lot of your own touches to it--vegetables that need to be used up or some different spices. 





Jeannie's French Market Soup
 
1. Prepare beans - The night before: 
(1)   Put a 2 cup mix of pinto, navy, northern, lentils, split peas, black eyed peas, black, and red beans into a glass bowl and fill with water to about 1" above the beans.  
(2)  In the morning drain the water off the beans. 
 
2.  Prepare vegetables:
(1)  Chop 2 large onions.
(2)  Chop 2 stalks of celery.
(3)  Chop up 2 carrots.
(4)  Mince 2 cloves of garlic and 2-3 T of chopped parsley
(5)  Chop up 2 cups of spinach with the stems. (This is something I added to this recipe)
(6)  Put 2 T of oil into a skillet and sauté the vegetables about 5 minutes.
3.  In a crock pot put:
(1)  12 cups of water and 1 skinned 3 lb chicken
(2)  Two large cans of diced tomatoes
(3)  Add the drained beans that you soaked.
(4)  Then add the sautéed vegetables.
(5)  Stir in 1 T of salt and 1 t of black pepper.
(6)  During the last 1-2 hours add the chopped spinach, 3 links of sliced Amy's chicken sausage, and parsley.
(7)  Cook on low for 8-10 hours
(8)  Taste and make any seasoning adjustments.
Blog Update 12-4-14  I had some extra green beans, and so I chopped them up in smaller pieces and added them to the soup.

List of My Favorite Soups, Chili & Stew Recipes

Beef 
Grandma's Favorite Beef Stew  (My mother-in-law's delicious recipe!)
Just Like Home Ukrainian Borscht  ( a Polish student  said this tasted like his mom's!)

Poultry
This is the Best Gluten Free Minestrone Soup!   (A recipe my son modified)
Mouth Watering Italian Turkey Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)
Mexican Fiesta Chicken Soup   (A recipe I got years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
My Thanksgiving Turkey Soup  (My very own special concoction!)
Gary's Incredible Gluten Free Arkansas Gumbo  (Given to me by a Bible study friend)
Jeannie's French Market Soup  (A mom friend from when my kids were little)
Southwest Turkey Soup  (From my Syre School cookbook)

Fish
Northwest Salmon Chowder  (From my Heritage School cookbook)

Bean & Legumes
Vi's Best Chili  (A  Bible study friend's great recipe)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (One of my daughter's friends special soup)
Country-Style Lentil Soup   (From my heritage School cookbook)

Vegetable
Creamy Pumpkin Soup  (from Food Network)
My Favorite Gluten Free Pumpkin Curry Soup  (Combo from Food Network & All Recipes)
Downright Delicious Potato & Kale Soup  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)
Garden Vegetable Soup  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)

Asian
Chinese Chicken Soups  - Bok choy chicken, chicken & spinach, and chicken & cabbage
Make Your Own Gluten Free Chicken Pho!  (From a newspaper article)
Gluten Free Chinese Hot Pot  (Modified by a Chinese student)
Chinese Egg Drop Soup  &  Chinese Egg & Tomato Soup  (Adapted from our students)

No comments:

Post a Comment